What is the Impact of Functions on Sets?

  • Thread starter Thread starter number0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
number0
Messages
102
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



It is located in the pdf or the following link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50331847/hw". There seems to be 2 typos:

"1. There should not be an initial "If" at the beginning.
2. The intersection on the right side of the equation should be a union, I believe."

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I spent a large amount of time thinking about how to do this, and I cannot figure it out. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.
 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
number0 said:

Homework Statement



It is located in the pdf or the following link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50331847/hw". There seems to be a typo; there is no "if" before the set relationship.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I spent a large amount of time thinking about how to do this, and I cannot figure it out. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.
I believe there are two typos.
As stated, the proposition is:
Let f: S -> T. If f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cap[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A
and B of S if and only if f is an injection.

1. There should not be an initial "If" at the beginning.
2. The intersection on the right side of the equation should be a union, I believe. Here's a counterexample. Let f(x) = csc(x) with domain the sets A = [-1, 0) and B = (0, 1]. f is clearly one-to-one, so is an injection.

f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = (-[itex]\infty[/itex], -1] [itex]\cup[/itex] [1, [itex]\infty[/itex]), but f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) is the empty set. This is a contradiction of one of the two conditions if the iff proposition.

With the foregoing in mind, I believe the proposition should be:
Let f: S -> T. f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A
and B of S if and only if f is an injection.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
I believe there are two typos.
As stated, the proposition is:
Let f: S -> T. If f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cap[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A
and B of S if and only if f is an injection.

1. There should not be an initial "If" at the beginning.
2. The intersection on the right side of the equation should be a union, I believe. Here's a counterexample. Let f(x) = csc(x) with domain the sets A = [-1, 0) and B = (0, 1]. f is clearly one-to-one, so is an injection.

f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = (-[itex]\infty[/itex], -1] [itex]\cup[/itex] [1, [itex]\infty[/itex]), but f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) is the empty set. This is a contradiction of one of the two conditions if the iff proposition.

With the foregoing in mind, I believe the proposition should be:
Let f: S -> T. f(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B) = f(A) [itex]\cup[/itex] f(B) for all subsets A
and B of S if and only if f is an injection.

Yes, you are correct. I just checked the problem. Any ideas on how to approach this?
 
Mark44 said:
Your book might have some similar examples.

My book has examples about the functions acting on sets. But, it does not have any examples relating to injections, surjections, bijections relating to functions on sets.
 
It doesn't have to have examples where the functions are injections, surjections, whatever. Look for examples or theorems about what a function does to a union of sets, and then look up the definition of injection (i.e. one-to-one) .