What is the Impedance and Power Dissipation in an AC Circuit with a Generator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
OsDaJu
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
AC Circuits II: AC Power Generator

Homework Statement



A An AC generator supplies an rms voltage of 110 V at 60.0 Hz. It is connected in series with a 0.300 H inductor, a 5.80 μF capacitor and a 236 Ω resistor.
What is the impedance of the circuit?

B What is the rms current through the resistor?

C What is the average power dissipated in the circuit?

D What is the peak current through the resistor?

E What is the peak voltage across the inductor?

F What is the peak voltage across the capacitor?

G The generator frequency is now changed so that the circuit is in resonance. What is that new (resonance) frequency?

Homework Equations



Z=[R^2+(XL-Xc)^2]^(1/2)
XL=2pifL
Xc=1/(2pifc)

Part E: VL=[(2^.5)*Vrms]/Z
Part F: VL=[(2^.5)*Vrms]/Xc

The Attempt at a Solution



I need help for part E and F

I substituted the numbers in the equation and I got the wrong answer.

Xc=457.34
Vrms=110
Z=4.17×10^2
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you were given is for the electric field, though. Part B is asking about the magnetic field.
 
Thanks, I didn't see that one. I changed the forum to a different question. Do you think you can help me with this one?
 
I changed the forum to a different question.
Please don't change the questions.

If you have a further related question, then just add it.

If it's different then start a new thread. Otherwise, people may not pick up on the fact that your new question requires attention.
 
If it's different then start a new thread. Otherwise, people may not pick up on the fact that your new question requires attention.
It also makes any help given look like nonsense.

That'll teach me not to forget to quote it next time. :redface: