What is the important dimension in this brain teasing system?

In summary, the two professionals are discussing how to create the most lift with the least amount of force using a hydraulic system. They disagree on where to adjust the pivot points and the moment arm.
rsmutt1978
Though it may seem like it, this certainly isn't a homework question so I hope I don't offend anyone with it's placement. This is a simple drawing of a hydraulic mechanism that me and a friend are building. There is much debate about where we need to improve so we are leaving it up to you, the 'professionals' to settle the argument.

I included all the details in the attached drawing. Let me know what you guys think.

View attachment PHYSICS POST, simple.pdf
For clarification, points A, B, C and D are all PIVOT POINTS!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Upon what do you and your friend disagree?

Which items (linkages BD or CD, pivot points B, D, C or A, Moment Arm 1, 2 or 3) need to be adjusted to create the most lift possible at point C with the least amount of force at F? Perhaps the simple/general question is, 'What can we do in this system to maximize vertical lift at C with minimal F and without changing the angle of vector DF.

Its still confusing to me. Why not just use a block and tackle/compound pulley? Why are you using hydraulics and what is it for?

Because once it is folded in it must push out as well. The movement out is not an issue though. Attached is the detailed drawing of the system. Luckily my day job is in SolidWorks. HA HA.

Attachments

• PHYSICS POST.pdf
    73.7 KB · Views: 197
You might want to review how a lever works as a force or displacement multiplier. If you want more force at the load end you sacrifice displacement, and vice verse ( more displacement at the load end means less force at the load end ).

A simple lever, or a modified L shaped lever ( to change direction of the force and displacement ) have shear in the members. The way your linkages are set up it appears the members 1,2,3 will be in tension or compression, with minimized shear.

What you will have to do is
as BD rotates around fulcrum B, point D moves along an arc of a circle. Member DC comes along for the ride lifting your load M. If CA was not there ( ie CD would hang vertical ) then the displacement of load M would be merely a simple angle function of movement of BD. Since CA does control some of the movement of load M, at least horizontal and vertical you will need to find the more complicated equation that relates the angle of movement of BD to that of the load M using basic trigonometry.

That is the way I see the solution to your problem.
and you can lengthen or shorten the members and see what that gives you as a result to maxmize displacement, if that is what you are after when you say lift.

Your first diagram shows mass M and link CD attached to the same point on link AC. However having looked at your second diagram I suspect it would be better to show mass M attached to a different point.

256 & CWatters

I appreciate both of your input. It would probably help if I told you that the mass M is really a frame member that extends out horizontally. Once it starts to lift/rotate up around hinge A it will immediately be moving easier and easier. Because of this, I am only concerned with maximizing "lift" at the moment that it is just starting to move.

It seams to me that getting Moment Arm 3 (sorry if my terms are inaccurate) as long as possible would give me the most lift possible. Also, getting angle BDF to be as close to 90 as possible.

What is the important dimension in this brain teasing system?

The important dimension in this brain teasing system is the ability to think critically and analytically. It is the dimension that allows us to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and come up with creative solutions.

Why is critical thinking important in this brain teasing system?

Critical thinking is important in this brain teasing system because it helps us approach problems objectively and evaluate information and evidence effectively. It also allows us to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions.

How does the brain benefit from engaging in this brain teasing system?

The brain benefits from engaging in this brain teasing system by being challenged and stimulated. This helps to improve cognitive function and strengthen neural connections, which can lead to improved memory, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.

Can anyone improve their critical thinking skills through this brain teasing system?

Yes, anyone can improve their critical thinking skills through this brain teasing system. Just like any other skill, critical thinking can be developed and honed through practice and exposure to different types of problems and puzzles.

What are some real-life applications of critical thinking developed through this brain teasing system?

Critical thinking developed through this brain teasing system can be applied in various areas of life, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and evaluating information and arguments. It can also be beneficial in academic and professional settings, as well as in personal relationships.