What Is the Index of Refraction for a Transparent Plastic Piece?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
smashyash
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm not sure if this can be answered without the picture but I can't get it posted.
The problem gives theta(incident) and theta(r). It's a basic refraction through a transparent plastic piece. It askes for the index of regraction of this material.

Homework Equations



ni * sin(theta,i) = nr * sin(theta,r)

The Attempt at a Solution



I figured since the don't give any more information that the ni value = 1 because it's assumed to be air. So I tried nr = ni * sin(theta,i)/sin(theta,r)
but this is not right...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi smashyash! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
smashyash said:
I figured since the don't give any more information that the ni value = 1 because it's assumed to be air. So I tried nr = ni * sin(theta,i)/sin(theta,r)
but this is not right...

that looks right …

without seeing the diagram, I'm guessing that either your i and r are the wrong way round, or one or both of your θs are measured from the surface instead of from the normal :smile: