Equation of tangent line (rec. form) to a polar curve

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
System
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Equation of tangent line (rec. form) to a polar curve!

Homework Statement



Quesiton:

Find the rectangular form of the equation of the tangent line to the polar curve r=cos^3(theta) at the point corresponding to theta=pi/4


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



How to do that?

I mean finding it in RECTANGULAR FORM !


i know that
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dr}{d\theta} sin(\theta)+rcos(\theta)}{\frac{dr}{d\theta} cos(\theta) - r sin(\theta)}[/tex]

I will calculate dy/dx at theta=pi/4 , and this is easy ..

The problem here is that, how can I find the equation of the tangent line in RECATNGULAR FORM ??

The equation of the tangent line is :

y-y1=m(x-x1)

m = the slope , and this one will be calculated by using the formula ..

but what about x1 and y1?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi System! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
System said:
y-y1=m(x-x1)

m = the slope , and this one will be calculated by using the formula ..

but what about x1 and y1?

(x1,y1) will be (r,θ) at θ = π/4. :wink:
 
(what happened to that π i gave you? :confused:)

No, you have to convert (r,θ) to (x,y) at θ = π/4.
 


ohhh i see now
x = r cosθ = cos^4 θ
y = r sinθ = cos^3θ sinθ

I will evaluate them at θ=pi/4 to get x1 & y1
and I have m from the formula of dy/dx in polar

I will substitute x1,y1 & m in the line equation and I will be finish, right?