What is the Inverse Laplace Transform of (s+1)/ (s^2 + 4s + 5) + e^-2s / 3s^4?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
math_04
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the inverse laplace transform of (s+1)/ (s^2 + 4s + 5) + e^-2s / 3s^4

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



For the first one

(s+1) / (s^2 + 4s + 5), I completed the square for the denominator so

(s+1) / [(s+1)^2 + 1]

Now it gets confusing, how do I find out the inverse laplace of this.

And for e^-2s / 3s^4 , is the inverse laplace 1/9 x 1/ (s+2)^4 = 1/9(s+2)^4
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The same way you find the inverse Laplace transform of just about anything: look it up in a table.
If you don't have one in your book, here's one:
http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm

You will notice that they give an inverse Laplace transform for [itex]s/(s^2+ \alpha[/itex] as well as the inverse Laplace transform for [itex]F(x-\alpha)[/itex]. Use them together for [itex](s+1)/((s+1)^2+ 2)[/itex].
 
The problem is I don't get the LaTeX Code: s/(s^2+ \\alpha thing. I only get the f(x +a) thing.
 
math_04 said:
The problem is I don't get the LaTeX Code: s/(s^2+ \\alpha thing. I only get the f(x +a) thing.

In the last line of Ivy you should recognize a form that can be found in the table. Ivy rewrote the equation in that form by taking out a square.