What is the Invertibility of 2N-I Matrix When N^2 = N?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Precursor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix Square
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Precursor
Messages
219
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that the square matrix [tex]2N - I[/tex] is its own inverse if [tex]N^{2} = N[/tex]

Homework Equations


properties of invertible matrix


The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know where to start here. I know that [tex](2N-I)(2N-I) = I[/tex], but where do I go on from there?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in calculating (2N-I)(2N-I) and using N2=N in your calculations. If (2N-I)(2N-I)=I, then the desired result is achieved, as this implies [(2N-I)]-1=(2N-I).
 
VeeEight said:
You are correct in calculating (2N-I)(2N-I) and using N2=N in your calculations. If (2N-I)(2N-I)=I, then the desired result is achieved, as this implies [(2N-I)]-1=(2N-I).

So the answer is simply [tex](2N-I)(2N-I) = I[/tex]? But how did I use [tex]N^{2} = N[/tex]?
 
I just assumed you did :)
The result (2N-I)(2N-I)=I is the desired result. So take (2N-I)(2N-I) and expand it. After you are done that, use N2=N.
 
VeeEight said:
I just assumed you did :)
The result (2N-I)(2N-I)=I is the desired result. So take (2N-I)(2N-I) and expand it. After you are done that, use N2=N.

ok, so I get:

[tex]2N^{2} - 2NI - 2NI + I^{2} = I[/tex]

[tex]2N - 2N - 2N + I = I[/tex]

But this doesn't work out.
 
The coefficient on N2 is incorrect. It is not a 2.
 
VeeEight said:
The coefficient on N2 is incorrect. It is not a 2.

Ok I got it. Thanks for the help.