1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If A^2 = 0, then A is not an invertible matrix

1. Feb 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that ##A^2 = 0##. Show that ##A## is not an invertible matrix

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We can do a proof by contradiction. Assume that ##A^2 = 0## and that ##A## is invertible. This would imply that ##A=0##, which is to say that A is not invertible, since ##0## has no inverse. This is a contraction, so it must be the case that if ##A^2 = 0##, then ##A## is not invertible.

Is this the way I should be doing this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I first thought - and this might well have been intended - that you should show, that there is a non-trivial element in the kernel of ##A##, namely the entire image of ##A##, but I like your solution better.

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Looks good to me as well. Note that you can prove this directly by using determinants, but I suspect you are not allowed to use determinants at this stage.

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are nonzero matrices so as A2=0. You should prove that they are not invertible.
    For example, the square of the following matrix is zero.
    \begin{pmatrix}

0 & 1 \\
    0 & 0

\end{pmatrix}

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. Feb 16, 2017 #5
    If A^2 = 0 and A is invertible, this implies A^(-1) A^2 = A^(-1) 0 = 0. No need to bother with non-invertible A's here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted