What is the Law of Cosines for Calculating Vector Magnitudes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Andy111
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider two vectors ~A and ~B and their resul-
tant ~A + ~B . The magnitudes of the vectors ~A
and ~B are, respectively, 12.1 and 7 and they
act at 130◦ to each other.

Use the law of cosines to calculate the mag-
nitude of the resultant vector ~A + ~B.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Andy111 said:

Homework Statement



Consider two vectors ~A and ~B and their resul-
tant ~A + ~B . The magnitudes of the vectors ~A
and ~B are, respectively, 12.1 and 7 and they
act at 130◦ to each other.

Use the law of cosines to calculate the mag-
nitude of the resultant vector ~A + ~B.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


How do you figure to apply the Law of Cosines?
 
I did (A+B)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=A[tex]^{2}[/tex]+B[tex]^{2}[/tex]-2ABcos(130) and solved for (A+B). I got an answer of 17.444148, but that was wrong.
 
Draw a triangle using those vectors.

edit:
This will show you the angle you are supposed to use for the calculation.
 
I'm a bit lost, why isn't 130 the correct angle to use?
 
Well yes, and I put the angle 130 between A and B, and if that's correct then I don't know how I got this wrong.
 
The correct picture is the 2nd one here.
 
Attachments
  • VectorProblem_8Sep2008.gif
    VectorProblem_8Sep2008.gif
    2 KB · Views: 591
Thanks, I see where my mistake was now, I didn't draw the vectors "tip-to-tail".