What is the lifetime of a photon in a medium?

• B
  • Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
When light travels through a medium like water, it slows down and its speed is no longer equal to c. How does this affect the life time of the photon?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
It doesn't.

Likes docnet
Nugatory
Mentor
Light traveling through a medium like water cannot be usefully thought of as photons moving through the water. The light is an electromagnetic wave, and we analyze this problem as a wave moving through the medium.

Photons only come into the picture when quantum mechanical effects are significant, and they aren't in this problem.

Likes docnet, etotheipi, davenn and 1 other person
Lord Jestocost
Gold Member
When light travels through a medium like water, it slows down and its speed is no longer equal to c.
When light travels through a medium like water, it appears to slow down. The apparent "slower speed" is the result of the superposition of two radiative electric fields: the incoming light, traveling at speed ##c##, and the light re-radiated by the atoms in the medium in the forward direction, traveling at speed ##c##, too. In case one wants to understand the essential aspects of the phenomena, I recommend to read chapter 31 “The Origin of the Refractive Index” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I". (http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_31.html).

Likes docnet, sophiecentaur and Nugatory