What is the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
thschica
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
A 6520 kg helicopter accelerates upward at 0.57 m/s2 while lifting a 1190 kg car.
(a) What is the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors?
_________ N
(b) What is the tension in the cable (ignore its mass) that connects the car to the helicopter?
_____N

I have no idea how to do this and it is going to be on my mid-term.
Can someone please help me because I keep getting very strange numbers.
I used a kinetics equation but the answer was wrong!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newtons second law: F=ma.
For (a) find out how much force is needed to accelerate both of the masses. The tension only accelerates the car.
 
If you apply Newton's Second Law to part (a) you can find the answer relatively easily; for the M value, just make sure you use the composite mass. You know a, as it's given in the question, so F can easily be solved. I think for part (b) you can just use Newton's Second Law, but remember the only mass involved is that of the suspended car. The acceleration should remain the same though...