What is the limit of (n/(n-1))^(n+2) as n approaches infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30

Homework Statement


Hi there. I've found some difficulties on solving this limit:
[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{n \to{}\infty}{(\displaystyle\frac{n}{n-1})^{n+2}}[/tex]

I thought of working with the function [tex]f(x)=(\displaystyle\frac{x}{x-1})^{x+2}[/tex]
And then apply L'Hopital

This way:
[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{}\infty}{(\displaystyle\frac{x}{x-1})^{x+2}=e^{\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{}\infty}{(x+2) ln (\displaystyle\frac{x}{x-1})}}=e^{\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{}\infty}{\displaystyle\frac{(\displaystyle\frac{x}{x-1})}{\displaystyle\frac{1}{(x+2)}}}[/tex]

And then I've applied L'hopital, but it didn't make the things easier. I've applied L'hopital unless two times. I don't know if what I did is right. And I think there must be an easier way of solving this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that we have ...

[tex]\frac{n}{n-1} = 1 + \frac{1}{n-1}[/tex]

This gives us ...

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n-1}\right)^{n+2} = \left(1+\frac{1}{n-1}\right)^{n-1}\left(1+\frac{1}{n-1}\right)^3[/tex]

Evaluate the limit as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex] for each of the terms on right and then apply some "limit laws" to justify your result.