What is the magnetic field strength?

In summary, the question asks for the magnetic field strength of a circular loop of wire placed in a uniform magnetic field. The loop has a diameter of 14.2 cm and experiences a torque of 0.135 mN when 3.10 A of current flows through it. The solution involves finding the formula for torque on a circular coil in a magnetic field, which can be done by considering the forces on each segment of the loop and integrating them. This will give the value for torque, which can then be solved for the magnetic field strength.
IHave

Homework Statement

A 14.2 cm - diameter circular loop of wire is placed with the plane of the loop parallel to the uniform magnetic field between the pole pieces of a large magnet. When 3.10 A flows in the coil, the torque on it is 0.135 m N. What is the magnetic field strength?

2. Homework Equations ;3. The Attempt at a Solution
Okay, I know that I need to find the value for B, the magnetic field; and that there are a number of equations that I can use. However, I am a bit confused, since torque is given; I know that it will be used in some way.

Any help is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a tough one! Unless you happen to have a formula for the torque on a circular coil in a magnetic field.

I can explain how to do it for a square coil, which should give you some understanding of your problem. A square coil will have four pieces of wire of length L, two of which are parallel to the B field and don't have a force on them. The formula for the force on the other two is F =I*L*B (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html#c2). This force F will be perpendicular to both the wire and the B field, and it will be in opposite directions on the two wires so they will try to rotate the loop of wire. The torque for this rotation will be F*L/2 for each of the forces because the force acts distance L/2 from the center of rotation.

If you happen to know calculus, you can think of your circular loop of wire as having an infinite number of segments, each of which has a component dL perpendicular to B. So you can figure out the torque for each of the segments and integrate to get the whole torque. Once you have the formula for Torque due to B, you can solve it for B to do your particular problem.

1. What is the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source of the field, the magnetic properties of the material in the field, and the strength of the current producing the field.

4. How does magnetic field strength relate to magnetic force?

The magnetic field strength is directly related to the magnetic force acting on a charged particle moving through the field. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force exerted on the particle.

5. Why is magnetic field strength important?

Magnetic field strength is important in various fields of science and technology, including electromagnetism, astronomy, and medical imaging. Understanding and measuring magnetic field strength can help us better understand the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with magnetic fields.