What is the magnitude and difrection of the acceleration?

In summary, three forces of 20n north, 30n west, and 45n east act on a 5kg mass. To find the magnitude and direction of the acceleration, calculate the x and y-components of each force, add them together, and use Newton's 2nd law to determine the acceleration in each direction.2. Use the equation F = Gm1m2/r^2 to calculate the gravitational force between a 100 kg object and a 200 kg object with a distance of 10m between their centers of mass. In summary, the gravitational force between the two objects is calculated using the equation F = Gm1m2/r^2, where G is 6x10^-11 N
shin777
1. three forces act on a 5kg mass. the forces are 20n north, 30n west, 45n east. what is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

- how do I set this up? i am kinda lost on thsi one.

2. what is the gravitational force between a 100 kg object and a 200kg object if centers of mass are 10m apart. g= 6x10^-11 N m^2//kg^2

- this one too.. i don't know how i set this up.

3. describe the forces in terms of Newton's 3rd law that propel a rocket?

- what is this mean? i know Newton's 3rd law is for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction but what is this question asking?

4. under a balanced force there A) no change in translational motion B) No rotational motion C) no inertia D) all of above

- I am guessing it's C?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's not like I didn't try. None of this problems were done in class and I can't find similar examples either. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Calculate the x and y-components of each force. Then add all the x-components together. Do the same for the y-components. You will then have the components of the resultant force. From which you can calculate the acceleration in each of these directions using Newton's 2nd law.

What is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over time. It is represented by a numerical value and a unit of measurement, such as meters per second squared. The direction of acceleration is the direction in which the velocity is changing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the equation a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are both measurements of an object's motion, but they are not the same. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. It is important to pay attention to the sign of acceleration when analyzing an object's motion.

How does the direction of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The direction of acceleration can determine the path an object takes when it is in motion. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the initial velocity, the object will speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the initial velocity, the object will change direction but maintain the same speed.