1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude and difrection of the acceleration?

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    1. three forces act on a 5kg mass. the forces are 20n north, 30n west, 45n east. what is the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

- how do I set this up? i am kinda lost on thsi one.

2. what is the gravitational force between a 100 kg object and a 200kg object if centers of mass are 10m apart. g= 6x10^-11 N m^2//kg^2

- this one too.. i don't know how i set this up.

3. describe the forces in terms of newton's 3rd law that propel a rocket?

- what is this mean? i know newton's 3rd law is for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction but what is this question asking?

4. under a balanced force there A) no change in translational motion B) No rotational motion C) no inertia D) all of above

- I am guessing it's C?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's not like I didn't try. None of this problems were done in class and I can't find similar examples either. :(

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2
    1. Calculate the x and y-components of each force. Then add all the x-components together. Do the same for the y-components. You will then have the components of the resultant force. From which you can calculate the acceleration in each of these directions using Newton's 2nd law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted