What is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
bulbasaur88
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Untitled.jpg


If mass 1 is 5 kg, and mass 2 is 3 kg, what is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley, T1?

The answer is 74 N.

What I presume they did was to find tension in the string and then double that to get ~74 Newtons.

My question is: why isn't T1 simply the weight of the two blocks?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
View attachment 38050

If mass 1 is 5 kg, and mass 2 is 3 kg, what is the magnitude of tension in the string supporting the pulley, T1?

The answer is 74 N.

What I presume they did was to find tension in the string and then double that to get ~74 Newtons.
Yes, using a FBD of the pulley in equilibrium.
My question is: why isn't T1 simply the weight of the two blocks?
It would be if the system was in equilibrium. Is it??
 
O.k. I think I see what you are saying. Thank you