1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the average velocity v of the car?

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car is traveling a road that makes quarter of a circle with a constant speed s. What is the magnitude of the average velocity v of the car?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    this is what I have down but im not sure if I am right
    *constant speed formula
    s=delta x/delta t
    delta x=s(delta t)

*magnitude formula
    |v|=squareroot x^2 + y^2

*average velocity
    V=delta x/delta t

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You are mixing different lengths here, the x (and y) for the difference in position and the motion along the circle. And you use the same variables for the magnitude of v which makes things even more confusing.

It is convenient to introduce the radius r of the circle. What is the path traveled by the car? At speed s, how long will it take?
    How far away from its original position is it afterwards?

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

I hope you mean displacement when you say ##x## you can find the arc length as you know the speed of the car as ##s## and you now the angle covered 90degrees so from that you can find the displacement of the car, and then enough can do the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted