What is the magnitude of the current density across A1 ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
zooropa
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The figure represents a section of a circular conductor of nonuniform diameter carrying a current of 5.00 A. The radius of cross-section A1 is 0.400 cm.
[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/i/img01mn.jpg/][PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7220/img01mn.th.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]


Homework Equations



(a) What is the magnitude of the current density across A1 ?
(b) If the current density across A2 is one-fourth the value across A1, what is the radius of the conductor
at A2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution



J=I/A= 5.00A/pi(.004)^2=99,472.8 A m^2
Could someone help please? I am doing this the right way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zooropa said:

Homework Statement



The figure represents a section of a circular conductor of nonuniform diameter carrying a current of 5.00 A. The radius of cross-section A1 is 0.400 cm.
[URL=http://img97.imageshack.us/i/img01mn.jpg/][PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7220/img01mn.th.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]


Homework Equations



(a) What is the magnitude of the current density across A1 ?
(b) If the current density across A2 is one-fourth the value across A1, what is the radius of the conductor
at A2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution



J=I/A= 5.00A/pi(.004)^2=99,472.8 A m^2
Could someone help please? I am doing this the right way?

Looks correct so far, except for the units of your answer -- should be A/m^2. You did the right thing in the division, just left out the "/" in the final answer's units.