Current Density of water through a pipe

In summary: It should be 1 gram for every 1000 cm^3. So I should have (1000 g / 1000 cm^3) for the density of water. That gives me a current density of 0.0269 C/m.
Colts

Homework Statement

(a) Water flows through a pipe of radius 4 cm at a rate of 3.5 m/s. Suppose each water molecule is singly ionized (highly unrealistic). What is the electric current density associated with the flow of these ions?
b) What is the electric current in the pipe?

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know the charge of water and don't understand what a singly ionized molecule is? I tried to look it up and there is an electron on the outside of the molecule. Does this mean I can use the density of water to get the charge of the water? and use that to find the current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Colts said:

Homework Statement

(a) Water flows through a pipe of radius 4 cm at a rate of 3.5 m/s. Suppose each water molecule is singly ionized (highly unrealistic). What is the electric current density associated with the flow of these ions?
b) What is the electric current in the pipe?

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know the charge of water and don't understand what a singly ionized molecule is? I tried to look it up and there is an electron on the outside of the molecule. Does this mean I can use the density of water to get the charge of the water? and use that to find the current?

Yes, it sounds like that's what you are expected to do. A singly ionized water molecule will have lost one of its electrons. So the charge on the molecule is +1.

Last edited:
I got density of water to be 1000 kg/m^3 and 1 mole for every 18 grams of water.
So I did:
[itex]\frac{1000 kg}{m^{3}}[/itex] 2∏ [itex](.04m)^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1 gram}{1000 kg}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1 mole}{18 grams}[/itex] [itex]\frac{6.022x10^{23}}{1 mole}[/itex][itex]1.6x10^{-19}[/itex]C
So I got 53.81 C/M
Then I multiplied this by 3.5 M/s to get
188.35 C/s

Why do you have 2pi in the area of the pipe?

Colts said:
I got density of water to be 1000 kg/m^3 and 1 mole for every 18 grams of water.
So I did:
[itex]\frac{1000 kg}{m^{3}}[/itex] 2∏ [itex](.04m)^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1 gram}{1000 kg}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1 mole}{18 grams}[/itex] [itex]\frac{6.022x10^{23}}{1 mole}[/itex][itex]1.6x10^{-19}[/itex]C
So I got 53.81 C/M
188.35 C/s

You've got the right idea. But you've got an extra 2 in that formula. The area of a circle is pi*r^2, not 2*pi*r^2. And even if I include that the number doesn't come out right. Check that you've got the decimal point in the right place.

Colts said:
So I did:
So I got 53.81 C/M
188.35 C/s

What happened to flow rate of 3.5 m/s? And area = pi r^2, not 2 pi r^2.

Ok, I messed up the area so without the 2 in there I get current density to be 26.9 C/M

Rude Man:
I used the flow rate to get the current.

Colts said:
Ok, I messed up the area so without the 2 in there I get current density to be 26.9 C/M

Rude Man:

That seems ok.

Gee, fellas, I get an astronomically higher number than anything I've seen on this thread so far.

Question to the OP: what is the meaning of his "1gm/1000kg" coefficient in his post #6?
How about 1000g/kg instead? Only a factor of 10^6 different ... :smile:

Colts said:

Rude Man:

Not sure I undertsand that. The only difference between current and current density is the area of the pipe: current = current density x pipe area.

You seem to have computed charge per unit length, not current density.

rude man said:
Gee, fellas, I get an astronomically higher number than anything I've seen on this thread so far.

Question to the OP: what is the meaning of his "1gm/1000kg" coefficient in his post #6?
How about 1000g/kg instead? Only a factor of 10^6 different ... :smile:

Yeah, you are right. I goofed. There is a slip up in the units.

What is the definition of current density of water?

Current density of water refers to the amount of electric current that passes through a specific area of a pipe carrying water. It is usually measured in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²).

How is current density of water calculated?

Current density of water can be calculated by dividing the total electric current passing through a pipe by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This gives the current density in units of A/m².

What factors affect the current density of water through a pipe?

The current density of water through a pipe can be affected by the electric potential difference, the diameter of the pipe, the conductivity of the water, and any obstructions or irregularities in the pipe.

Why is it important to monitor the current density of water through a pipe?

Monitoring the current density of water through a pipe is important because it can indicate the rate of flow of water, the potential for corrosion or damage to the pipe, and any potential issues with the water supply.

How can current density of water through a pipe impact the environment?

If the current density of water through a pipe is too high, it can lead to erosion and damage to the pipe, potentially causing leaks or breaks. This can also result in contamination of the surrounding environment and water sources. Additionally, if the current density is too low, it may indicate a blockage or restriction in the pipe, which can lead to water scarcity and impact the environment and local communities.