1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike?

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is traveling horizontally over a volleyball net when a player spikes it, driving it straight down to the ground. The ball's mass is .22kg, its speed before being hit is 6.4 m/s and its speed immediately after the spike is 21m/s. What is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike? I have two attempts at the solution but I was mainly wondering which attempt(s) is correct.

2. Relevant equations
    impulse=change in momentum= (mass)(final velocity)-(mass)(initial velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    J=.22(21)-.22(6.4)=3.212kg(m/s)
    I don't know if that is correct because a way I was given to do this was using coordinates:
    .22(0,21)-.22(6.4,0)=(0,4.62)-(1.408,0)=(-1.408,4.62)kg(m/s)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2
    Initially, it was traveling horizontally

and after the applied force, the direction changed by 90 degrees.

and impulse is a vector quantity, so you need to take of directions also,.

so your expression would be:
    J=.22(21[down])-.22(6.4
    )​

4. Aug 14, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The first way is not correct, since it ignores the fact that momentum (and velocity) is a vector--direction counts. The second method, using components, is correct. (Except for a minus sign, since the final velocity is 21 m/s down.)

To complete the solution, you need to find the magnitude of the impulse, not just the components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?