What is the magnitude of the magnetic field of the wire

In summary, the problem involves a long straight 6mm diameter conducting wire carrying a current of 4A. The question asks for the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 1mm inside the surface of the wire and 2cm from the center of the wire. Using Ampere's law, the correct answers are 44*10^-9 and 50*10^-9 respectively. However, the person asking the question is unsure of their calculations and is seeking confirmation.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

a long straight 6mm diameter conducting wire is carrying a current of 4A.

1)What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 1mm inside the surface of the wire.

2)what is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 2cm from the centre of the wire

Homework Equations

using amperes law:
for part 1 i got 44*10^-9

and for part 2: 50*10^-9

I wnt to make sure i have done it right though, becuase it is a past exam question that i don't have solutions for. So if anyone is good at these questions, it would be helpful to check my answers in case i have stuffed up.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers to both parts are incorrect.

how do you calculate current inside the wire? And do you notice units of all parameters when you calculate?

what i tried was:

diameter =6mm. At a point 1mm inside the conducting wire, diameter is 4mm, therefore r=2mm

using amperes law:

∫B⋅ds=μ₀I{Through}

ds=2πr
I{Through}=I∗((πr²)/(πR²)) where R=6mm and r =2mm
B*2πr=I∗((πr²)/(πR²))

B=μ₀Ir/2πR²
B=μ₀(4)(0.002)/2π(0.006)²

You wrote diameter = 6mm but then when you put it into eq, you wrote R=6mm.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of magnetic field magnitude?

The magnetic field magnitude is a measurement of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is typically measured in units of teslas (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is the magnetic field magnitude of a wire calculated?

The magnetic field magnitude of a wire can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field magnitude, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic field of a wire?

The magnitude of the magnetic field of a wire is affected by the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire. It can also be affected by external magnetic fields and the shape of the wire.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field magnitude of a wire?

The direction of the current flowing through a wire determines the direction of the magnetic field around the wire. If the current is flowing in the same direction, the magnetic field will be stronger. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the magnetic field will be weaker.

5. What is considered a strong or weak magnetic field magnitude?

The strength of a magnetic field is relative and can vary depending on the context. However, in general, a magnetic field magnitude of 1 T or higher is considered strong, while a magnitude of less than 1 T is considered weak.