What is the magnitude of the magnetic field .

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 2.40 m below a power line with a maximum current of 165 A. The equations provided are not working, but using significant digits and converting to Tesla, the answer is 1.38*10-5 T.
superjen
An overhead electric power line carries a maximum current of 165 A. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 2.40 m directly below the power line?

Soo...
I = 165A
L = 2.40m

Equations i have learned areee
(1) F = ILBsin(theta)
(2) F = |q|vBsin(theta)
(3) r = mv / |q|B
(4) B = (constant)I/R

im unsure
. i tried equation 4 . but that didnt work. any help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
superjen said:
An overhead electric power line carries a maximum current of 165 A. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 2.40 m directly below the power line?

Soo...
I = 165A
L = 2.40m

Equations i have learned areee
(1) F = ILBsin(theta)
(2) F = |q|vBsin(theta)
(3) r = mv / |q|B
(4) B = (constant)I/R

im unsure
. i tried equation 4 . but that didnt work. any help would be awesome!

Maybe this will help?
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html#c3

i just tried it, and it doesn't work. :S

superjen said:
i just tried it, and it doesn't work. :S

What units do they want it in? Gauss or Tesla?

Tesla

superjen said:
Tesla

What did you get then?

i got two answers
one was
0.0000137T
and
0.0000275T
Neither of them worked.

superjen said:
i got two answers
one was
0.0000137T
and
0.0000275T
Neither of them worked.

Is it looking for 1.38*10-5 T by any chance because of significant digits issues?

ok, that worked :S:S

1. What is the definition of "magnitude of the magnetic field"?

The magnitude of the magnetic field refers to the strength or intensity of the magnetic field at a particular point in space. It is measured in units of Tesla (T) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How is the magnitude of the magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of the magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle or a sensor to detect the strength of the magnetic field at a specific location.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic field?

The magnitude of the magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnet or current generating the field, the distance from the source, and the orientation of the magnetic field lines. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic fields or materials can also impact the magnitude of the field.

4. How does the magnitude of the magnetic field impact its behavior?

The magnitude of the magnetic field plays a crucial role in how it behaves. A stronger magnetic field can exert a greater force on charged particles and can be used for tasks such as guiding particles in particle accelerators or controlling the motion of spacecraft. It also determines the intensity of magnetic forces, such as attraction or repulsion between magnets.

5. Can the magnitude of the magnetic field change over time?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field can change over time. Magnetic fields can be either static or dynamic, meaning they can either remain constant or vary over time. For example, electromagnetic fields change when electric currents flow through them, and the Earth's magnetic field changes over time due to processes in its core.