What is the magnitude of the net charge enclosed by surface?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
YeetForTheOneTime
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A closed surface with dimensions a = b = 0.302m and c=0.604m is located as in the figure.
The electric field throughout the region is nonuniform and defined by E⃗ = (α+βx2)ˆı where x is in meters,α=4N/C, andβ=4N/(C·m2).?
What is the magnitude of the net charge enclosed by the surface?
Answer in units of C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to use E= (4+4x^2) and distribute the Epsilon naught value but obviously that is completely wrong. I am struggling and would appreciate any help that can be offered!
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 10.58.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 10.58.59 PM.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 717
Physics news on Phys.org
YeetForTheOneTime said:

Homework Statement


A closed surface with dimensions a = b = 0.302m and c=0.604m is located as in the figure.
The electric field throughout the region is nonuniform and defined by E⃗ = (α+βx2)ˆı where x is in meters,α=4N/C, andβ=4N/(C·m2).?
What is the magnitude of the net charge enclosed by the surface?
Answer in units of C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to use E= (4+4x^2) and distribute the Epsilon naught value but obviously that is completely wrong. I am struggling and would appreciate any help that can be offered!
What is the direction of the electric field?
Do you know Gauss' Law?