What is the mass of block on the left?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aligass2004
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Block Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
aligass2004
Messages
236
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The 100kg block in the figure below takes 6.6s to reach the floor after being released from rest. What is the mass of block on the left?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p8-33.gif

Homework Equations



F=ma
kinematic equation

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using accleeration = velocity/time, and I got .023 m/s^2. Then I used velocity = displacement/time, and I got .152 m/s. And then I got completely lost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be using
d = 0.5at^2 (assuming that initial v is 0)

so get a, and then
you know the system is moving with a

therefore weight of larger mass - wieght of smaller mass = (total mass)*a
 
Ok, for the acceleration I got .046m/s^2. How do I figure out what the total mass is since I don't know the smaller mass?
 
aligass2004 said:
Ok, for the acceleration I got .046m/s^2. How do I figure out what the total mass is since I don't know the smaller mass?

you want to solve for the smaller mass... write the total mass in terms of the smaller mass...
 
So larger mass-smaller mass = (larger mass + smaller mass)a
 
aligass2004 said:
So larger mass-smaller mass = (larger mass + smaller mass)a

(larger mass)*g - (smaller mass)*g = (larger mass + smaller mass)a
 
Got it after three tries at manipulating the equation. 99.067kg.