What is the mass of the second child on a seesaw?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jessica.so
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Seesaw
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jessica.so
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two children balance on a seesaw. One, with a mass of 30 kg, is seated 2.0 m from the pivot. The other is seated 2.5 m from the pivot. What is the mass of the second child?


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


I drew the diagram of the two children and I found the force of gravity acting on the first child:
Fg=mg ; Fg=(30 kg)(9.8 m/s/s) ; Fg = 294N

I know that the Net Force would be 0 because the seesaw is balanced.
And then...I don't know what to do...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so they both have the same acceleration acting on them [tex]g = 9.81ms^{-1}[/tex]

However they both have torques created by the distance from the pivot point.

We know that [tex]\tau = Fr[/tex]

So we're saying that [tex](30)(9.8)(2.0) = (m)(9.8)(2.5)[/tex]
 
ohh okay! and then you would just isolate and...yaa! Thanks so much for your help! I really really appreciate it!