1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a seesaw torque question.

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Halle and Susan, each of mass 40 kg are sitting at opposite ends of a playground seesaw. The seesaw is stationary in the horizontal position and is 4.50 m long. Susan decides to jump off. Calculate the size of the unbalanced torque that now acts on the seesaw.

2. Relevant equations
    torque= F * r (perpendicular distance?)
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to find the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation. I think F would be 40*9.8=392 N but I don't know how to find the "r" value.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How far is she from the pivot of the seesaw? (You're given the full length of the seesaw.)

4. Jan 11, 2012 #3
    It doesn't state the value in the question so I guess you are supposed to assume that she is half way. So 4.5/2=2.25 m

5. Jan 11, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's what I would assume. The axis of the seesaw is in the middle and she is sitting at one end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook