What Is the Mathematical Definition of the Microcanonical Partition Function?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Pacopag
Messages
193
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Does anyone know the mathematical definition of the microcanonical partition function?
I've seen
[tex]\Omega = {E_0\over{N!h^{3n}}}\int d^{3N}q d^{3N}p \delta(H - E)[/tex]
where H=H(p,q) is the Hamiltonian. This looks like a useful definition.
Only thing is I don't know what [tex]E_0[/tex] is.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The microcanonical partition function is just a count of the number of states that satisfy extensive constraints on volume, energy, etc. The probability of each state is then trivially one over the partition function.
 
But in the case of a classical system the number of states is uncountable because the position and momenta are continuous.
 
In which case you can still calculate the phase space volume and the probability distribution is uniform over that volume --- it's the obvious generalisation.
 
Ok. Good. Now I see why my "hint" was to bring the constant energy surface in phase space into a sphere (because I know how to find the volume of a sphere).

Thank you very much genneth.