What is the maximum linear velocity of a rolling flywheel on an incline?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LBenson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angular
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
LBenson
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A uniform circular steel disc of mass 20kg and diameter 0.4m has a radius of gyration equal to 0.14m. It is lifted vertically 2.0m, and placed on an incline. The flywheel is then released and rolls down the incline without slipping. Find :

a) the potential energy of the disc at the top of the incline (Ans= 392.4J)
b) the maximum linear velocity of the disc as it reaches the bottom of the incline

Homework Equations



E=1/2*I*w^2 (I being Inertia and w being Angular Velocity)
I=m*k^2 (K being the radius of gyration)
V=w*r (V = Linear Velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok so i worked out a) with no problems. this next part if giving me a bit of trouble though.

Here are the values i have:

Mass = 20kg
Diameter=0.4m
Radius of Gyration (k)=0.14m
P.E=392.4

Heres what i did:

First i worked out the inertia so so i can use the calculated value in the next bit

I=mk^2
I=20x0.14^2
I=0.392

Now because the disc doesn't slip i assumed the Potential Energy will = The energy at the bottom of the slope so i used

E=1/2*I*w^2

Re arrange for W

so
W^2=E/(1/2*I)
=392.4/0.196=2002.05
=(sqrt)2002.04
=44.74rads/s

Now since i needed the Linear velocity i used the relationship equation of:

V=w*r
V=44.74x0.2
V=8.946m/s

So where am i going wrong?

Cheers for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy says PE at top goes into PE at bottom plus KE of rotation at bottom plus KE of translation at the bottom (that's translational velocity of the center of mass).

Did you includethe last term?
 
I should probably include that the answer is 4.43 m/s i just don't know how to get it
 
AEM said:
Conservation of energy says PE at top goes into PE at bottom plus KE of rotation at bottom plus KE of translation at the bottom (that's translational velocity of the center of mass).

Did you includethe last term?

Well i worked out the Angular Velocity at the bottom, is that what you're asking?
 
LBenson said:
Well i worked out the Angular Velocity at the bottom, is that what you're asking?

If I am reading this correctly...

The PE at the top of the incline would be converted into only translational (linear) KE if the object was just sliding, ie no friction. But the object is rolling. So the KE at the bottom of the incline is in two forms 1. Rotational KE 2. Translational KE

If you found omega you can find rotational KE. Subtract that from the PE at the top and you are only left with linear KE. So now just use 1/2mv^2 = linear KE (Joules) solve for v.