Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the maximum load on square tubing?

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    Can anyone help to determine the maximum load on 3.5 " x 3.5 " x 3\16 " square tubing with a 1 " adjustable pin hole. This tubing was inside a 4 " x 4 " support . See the attached picture. I need to know the load or force allowable on the 1 " pin prior to the 3.5 " x 3.5 " tearing from the stress. I am not an engineer and lack \ forgot how to use physics to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Tony.
    More information is needed. Going by the picture, I would guess that the material is mild steel, but it's important to know for sure not only what it is, but how it was treated.
    I'm afraid that I won't be able to help you anyhow, but others will need that information.

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Danger is correct, this is a very complex problem and you need to know more about what kind of material it is and the loading condition before you can predict the failure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?