Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the maximum of this expression (function)?

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    Will anybody help me to find the maximum of the following expression:

[tex]|\cos^m\theta_1
    (c\cos^n\theta_2+se^{i(\gamma-n\lambda_2)}\sin^n\theta_2)+e^{-im\lambda_1}\sin^m\theta_1 (\pm ce^{-in\lambda_2}\sin^n\theta_2+se^{i\gamma}\cos^n\theta_2)|^2[/tex]

where [tex]m,n\ge 2 [/tex] are fixed positive integers; [tex]c,s\in (0,1) \mbox{ and } \gamma[/tex] are fixed reals; and we have to maximize with respect to [tex]\theta_1, \theta_2,\lambda_1,\lambda_2[/tex] in the range [tex]0\le\theta_1, \theta_2\le\frac{\pi}{2};~0\le\lambda_1,\lambda_2\le\pi[/tex].

My guess is the answer will be [tex]\max\{c^2, s^2\}[/tex]. But I am unable to prove it (even I don't know if I am correct). Please help me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    Here is my trying.... Can anybody verify it, please(if there is any misconception):

We have

[tex]
    |\cos^m\theta_1
    (c\cos^n\theta_2+se^{i(\gamma-n\lambda_2)}\sin^n\theta_2)+e^{-im\lambda_1}\sin^m\theta_1 (\pm ce^{-in\lambda_2}\sin^n\theta_2+se^{i\gamma}\cos^n\theta_2)|[/tex]

[tex]
    \le\cos^m\theta_1|
    (c\cos^n\theta_2+se^{i(\gamma-n\lambda_2)}\sin^n\theta_2)|+\sin^m\theta_1| (\pm ce^{-in\lambda_2}\sin^n\theta_2+se^{i\gamma}\cos^n\theta_2)|[/tex]

[tex]
    \le \cos^m\theta_1(c\cos^n\theta_2+s\sin^n\theta_2)+\sin^m\theta_1 ( c\sin^n\theta_2+s\cos^n\theta_2)
    [/tex]

Now by calculus (I mean by differentiating w.r.t. [tex]\theta_1,\theta_2[/tex]) the maximum of the r.h.s. of the last inequality is obtained as [tex]\max\{c,s\}[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook