What Is the Maximum Propeller Diameter for a 1800 Shp Engine at 2000 RPM?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
chinook177
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Ok I'm trying to work out a few things with propellers but I am struggling to work out if I have got this right.

If I have an 1800 shp engine running at about 2000 rpm and I want my aircraft to have a maximum speed of approximately 350 mph what is the maximum diameter I can have the propeller. I have read in a few books that it is best to keep propeller speed between 0.7 and 0.8 Mach.

Working back from this I have calculated the diameter to be 78.5 inches however I know the spitfire used to run at 3500 rpm with at prop diameter of 10ft so I am assuming that I have done something wrong in my calculations.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Merlins or Allisons used in Spitfire or Mustangs had a reduction gearbox that I think was about 2.5-1 So while the engine might have seen say 3500 rpm the prop was only turning at 1400 or so.

The rpm/mach number on your smaller prop actually sounds correct Might even be a bit on the high side. While you loose efficiency about all that happens is the prop "snarls". It gets loud as it breaks the mach. A Cessna 185 has a 310hp engine. When taking off it makes the usual noises until you have it full throttle and the prop tips bust the mach and then it gets a bit loud.