What is the maximum speed and spring constant of a weight on a massless spring?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
wondermoose
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 4.50 kg weight hangs from a vertical massless ideal spring. When set in vertical motion, the weight obeys the equation y(t)=(8.50 cm)sin[(3.85 rad/s)t-1.40]. What is the maximum speed of the weight? What is the spring constant?


Homework Equations


Hooke's law: F = -kx
W(spring): 1/2kx(initial)^2 - 1/2kx(final)^2
W(applied): -W(spring) if stationary before/after displacement



The Attempt at a Solution


Throwing in the equation that the weight obeys has completely thrown me off. I'm not even sure what that means and how I apply it to the problem. I don't have much to show for it because I'm not sure where to begin, and I can't seem to find a similar problem to help find a starting point. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
harmonic oscillations are described with this equation: y=y0*sin(omega*t+phi0).
In this case, omega=sqrt(k/m), on the other side, omega = 3.85 rad/s. So you can find k.

as the energy of the system is constant:
k*(y0)^2=m(vmax)^2.
From this equation you can find the maximum velocity.
 
Okay, here's what I've got.

omega = sqrt(k/m)

k = omega2*m

k=(3.85 rad/s)2(4.5 kg)
k=66.7 (units?)

Then, k(y0)2 = m(vmax)2

vmax = sqrt((k*y02)/m)

vmax = 3.27 m/s

Look okay? I'm not sure how rad2*kg/sec2 converts to anything though, in finding the spring constant.
 
Yes, it looks fine) about the units of k:
kg/sec^2=(kg*m)/(m*sec^2)=N/m
(N=kg*m/sec^2)