What Is the Maximum Value of r(n-r) for Composite Functions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vkash
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
vkash
Messages
316
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



If the composite function f1(f2(f3(...(fn)))) n times, is an increasing function and if r of fi's are decreasing function while rest are increasing, then find the maximum value of r(n-r)?

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



How can i attempt if i don't know what is question.

I request you to not put answer!. I want that you just tell me question in easy language. I want to try it before anybody tell me it's answer. If you give example then it will easy to understand.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Say you have n=3 functions. If all of them are increasing, the composite function will be increasing, and you'd have r=0, so r(n-r)=0. You can also get an increasing composite function when r=2, in which case, you'd get r(n-r)=2. The other two cases will result in a decreasing composite function. So when n=3, the maximum value of r(n-r) is 2.

The problem is asking you to do this for the general case. I'll leave it to you to figure out what combinations will result in an increasing composite function.