Composition of a Continuous and Measurable Function

In summary, the question is whether the composition of a measurable function and a continuous function is necessarily measurable. It is shown that this is not always true, as the continuous image of a measurable set is not always measurable. An example is given where the composition of two Lebesgue measurable functions is not Lebesgue measurable.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##f## and ##g## are real-valued functions defined on all of ##\Bbb{R}##,##f## is measurable, and ##g## is continuous. Is the composition ##f \circ g## necessarily measurable?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##c \in \Bbb{R}## be arbitrary. Then ##\{x \in \Bbb{R} ~|~ f(g(x)) > c \} = \{x \in g( \Bbb{R}) ~|~ f(x) > c \} \subseteq \{x \in \Bbb{R} ~|~ f(x) > c\}##, where the last set is measurable by our hypothesis. If ##g## were surjective, the first set would certainly be measurable, independently of whether ##g## is continuous, since equality would hold with the last set. This suggests that the statement isn't necessarily true. Another way would be to argue that ##g(\Bbb{R})## is a measurable, but apparently the continuous image of a measurable set isn't always measurable. So I suspect the statement isn't necessarily true, but I am having trouble finding a counterexample. I could use some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold on! I am pretty certain ##\{x \in \Bbb{R} ~|~ f(g(x)) > c \} = \{x \in g( \Bbb{R}) ~|~ f(x) > c \}## is false. However, I still believe that the theorem isn't necessarily true.

I'm not really fit in the dungeon of topological, pathological examples, but I've seen an example which showed that the composition of two Lebesgue measurable functions isn't necessarily Lebesgue measurable. The author constructs a continuous, ##1:1##, strictly increasing function ##g## on ##[0,1]## and with the help of a nowhere dense perfect subset ##P##, ##f=\chi_A## where ##A=g(S)## and ##S \subseteq P## is a non Lebesgue measurable subset, ##f \circ g## does the job.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function where the output value changes gradually and smoothly as the input value changes. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How is continuity defined in terms of a function?

A function is said to be continuous if the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, the function is continuous if it has no holes, breaks, or sharp turns in its graph.

3. What is a measurable function?

A measurable function is a type of function in mathematics that maps a set of inputs to a set of outputs. It is called "measurable" because it satisfies certain properties that allow it to be integrated and analyzed using measure theory.

4. How are continuous and measurable functions related?

A continuous function is always measurable, but a measurable function is not necessarily continuous. This means that all continuous functions are also measurable, but there are some measurable functions that are not continuous.

5. What are some real-world applications of continuous and measurable functions?

Continuous and measurable functions are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and computer science. They are particularly useful in modeling and predicting the behavior of systems that change over time, such as stock prices, weather patterns, or chemical reactions.