What is the meaning of 'Open Source' in electrical and computer field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
pairofstrings
Messages
411
Reaction score
7
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

Open Source generally means that the source code for the project is "open", so a user can modify it. Different licenses exist, the GPL is a common one, in which the user is obliged to release their modified source code.

Open Source does not necessarily imply that the product is free, although it often does.
 
pairofstrings said:
Thanks!

I think you mean the "software" field. In the electrical field "open source" would be a mosfet device that required an external pull down resistor. :-p
 
uart said:
I think you mean the "software" field. In the electrical field "open source" would be a mosfet device that required an external pull down resistor. :-p

I've seen some "open source" hardware projects as well (including the Arduino platform which seems to be quite popular here--having never used it, I can't comment on it). Aside from the new name, I don't know if there's really anything new conceptually, since lots of electronics hobbyists and EEs have shared (in magazine, BBS, or forum format) schematics, code, layouts / gerbers, and in turn, refined and re-shared what they had.
 
Last edited: