What is the minimum uncertainty in the energy of a \rho meson?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dalarev
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lifetime Meson
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
dalarev
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Restmass, lifetime of a meson

Homework Statement



A [tex]\rho[/tex] meson is a highly unstable subatomic particle with a rest mass of 776 MeV/c^2 and a mean lifetime of [tex]4\times10^{-24}[/tex]s. What is the minimum uncertainty in the meson's energy?

Homework Equations



We know that rest energy of a particle E = mc^2, m being rest mass I'm assuming.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't even know where to begin. I'm not sure what they're asking, and what it is I need to calculate.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that they want you to apply the so-called energy-time uncertainty principle. Look it up!