1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name of this Laboratory Instrument?

  1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    What is the name of this Laboratory Instrument?

    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Welcome to the PF.

    Looks like a low-resolution abacus to me... :biggrin:

    But seriously, if you want better answers, the more information that you can give, the easier we can try to help you. Where did you get the picture? What is the history of the picture? How big is it physically, etc.
  4. Apr 6, 2016 #3

    Fervent Freyja

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Well, that hollow, unevenly-cut pipe there probably isn't a handle, I don't see it supporting all that weight for long especially with that weld, it also isn't centered and neither is the bar above it. If it's really a laboratory instrument, then it may be the only one like it...

    Maybe a mischievous 9 year old made it, who knows?
  5. Apr 6, 2016 #4
    My guess is a weight balancing shaft for something like a pendulum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted