What is the Negative of a Polar Coordinate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Physicist3
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Say I have a variable 'x' which has the polar value 10@-75°, would '-x' be -10@+75° or 10@+75° as I am a touch confused as to which bit I have to invert
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:
Hi,

Say I have a variable 'x' which has the polar value 10@-75°, would '-x' be -10@+75° or 10@+75° as I am a touch confused as to which bit I have to invert
The notation "-x" usually refers to the additive inverse of x. That is, we want x + (-x) = 0. Therefore, if you are using the usual Euclidean notion of vector addition (the parallelogram law, equivalent to the addition of Cartesian components), you must find the polar components of the vector whose addition to x will yield the additive identity: the 0 vector. In the vectors of Euclidean geometry, this is the vector that points in opposite direction to x, but with equal magnitude. Thus, it is the reflection of x through the origin (if one attaches the tail of x to the origin). Attached is an example of the geometric viewpoint. Do you see which vector that should be for your particular case ? After you find it geometrically, then you would find its polar components.
Of course, if you are using a different notion of vector addition, then your result will vary. In that case, you would have to describe the context of your application.
 
Attachments
  • NegativeVectors.png
    NegativeVectors.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Physicist3 said:
Hi,

Say I have a variable 'x' which has the polar value 10@-75°, would '-x' be -10@+75° or 10@+75° as I am a touch confused as to which bit I have to invert
In polar coordinates x and -x have the same magnitude and have angles which differ by 180 deg. In your example -x is 10@105 deg.