What is the net torque on the pulley about the axle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 20K views
aligass2004
Messages
236
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the net torque on the pulley about the axle if T1 = 18N and T2 = 34N?
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p13-11.gif

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Torque is really confusing me. I have no ideas as to how to start this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to show some work, but to "push" you along... could you get started if there were only 1 force?
 
I know that torque = r(Ft), but I don't know if that's the right equation to use.
 
I'm guessing that Ft is the force that is perpendicular to the radius. Is that what you mean? If so, that is the right equation.

To give a longer answer than you might want,
Torque = force x radius x sine of the angle between the force and the radius.
In many cases, the angle is 90 degrees (it certainly is in your picture) and sin(90) = 1, so torque = force x radius in those cases.

So, now can you calculate the two torques, ONE AT A TIME, including whether it goes clockwise (CW) or counterclockwise (CCW)?
 
I figured it out before looking at your last post. Thanks though!