What is the neutron source and energy used for BNCT and how is it made suitable?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Lisa!
Gold Member
Messages
672
Reaction score
96
I've read MIT explanations on BNCT and some other articles but Istill have some questions about it!(I want to know these in details) 1st of all which neutron sources is used for BNCT? Which neutron energy is suitable for BNCT and why? which methods are used to make neutron' energy suitable for BNCT?
I'd appreciate if you introduce some useful articles regarded to my question!

Thanks:smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org


BNCT, as far as I know, doesn't use a source. They use either reactors or accelerators.

Energy is a bit of a sticky point - you want low energy neutrons to increase the boron capture probability, but you also want a well-collimated beam to point at the tumor. These two desires conflict with each other at some level.
 


Here's an example from Australia's OPAL reactor on 'cold' and 'thermal' neutrons.

http://www.ansto.gov.au/discovering_ansto/anstos_research_reactor/opal_capabilities
 
Last edited by a moderator: