What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Hmm...how can I put it to the person who wrote me an email telling me she had some money in an account in Ghana, and she ...? She said she is waiting for my reply. How should I reply: I suggest you get a comfortable chair , because it will be a long #$% wait?
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet
Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?
Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
WWGD, what does that stand for? Did we know each other here ?
Besides, that me in the pic
Besides, that me in the pic
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Sorry bro, i just tend to look “antique”
Ladies like that, so i have been told
Ladies like that, so i have been told
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Those were good times though.marlon said:Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet
Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Yeah, they were
Damn i just read that both marcus and arildno passed away in the last years
I both knew them here quite well
Marcus helped me out on LQG intro
Damn i just read that both marcus and arildno passed away in the last years
I both knew them here quite well
Marcus helped me out on LQG intro
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Is astronuc still here? And Borek?
Science Advisor
- 1,567
- 5,225
Why we love firemen!
"Ever wonder what happens when a car is parked in front of a fire hydrant and a fire breaks out?"
https://twitter.com/AnaheimFire?ref...itorial/330f7012-3a8e-11e9-9c7e-3f92f52c2449/
"Ever wonder what happens when a car is parked in front of a fire hydrant and a fire breaks out?"
https://twitter.com/AnaheimFire?ref...itorial/330f7012-3a8e-11e9-9c7e-3f92f52c2449/
Attachments
- 13,926
- 16,804
Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yeah. Even Rubinstein said after he had seen his first piano that he had looted folk and other sources. So it seems quite typical for Tchaikovsky.Ibix said:Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Leonard Rubinstein was called Len Rubinstein . Now that I am learning Python, I just call him 9.fresh_42 said:Yeah. Even Rubinstein said after he had seen his first piano that he had looted folk and other sources. So it seems quite typical for Tchaikovsky.
- 13,926
- 16,804
len("Bernstein")==9, to be precise.WWGD said:Freshmeister: Did I beat you in obscurit-y in
my last post? (len(Bernstein)=9)
Mentor
- 29,213
- 4,643
Ibix said:Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...
Into Mars? Whenever I listen to Neptune I hear Tatooine.
- 20,819
- 28,467
WWGD said:Freshmeister: Did I beat you in obscurit-y in
my last post? (len(Bernstein)=9)
Indeed.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
If you-all find classical music confusingly derivative, take a peek at fine Art.
The post-Impressionists alone cause me endless confusion: Monet, Manet both influenced by Camille Corot (or was it Condorcet?). Vincent van Gogh was best buds with Paul Gauguin or was it Paul Cezanne? The we have Seurat, Serusier and Signac all utterly cool painters whose names I cannot pronounce. Luce, Lavall, Lautrec, and Lemmen. To add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.
Landscape by Camille Pissarro.
The post-Impressionists alone cause me endless confusion: Monet, Manet both influenced by Camille Corot (or was it Condorcet?). Vincent van Gogh was best buds with Paul Gauguin or was it Paul Cezanne? The we have Seurat, Serusier and Signac all utterly cool painters whose names I cannot pronounce. Luce, Lavall, Lautrec, and Lemmen. To add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.
Landscape by Camille Pissarro.
Attachments
- 20,819
- 28,467
I only want to know: what did Miró and Kandinsky take?Klystron said:o add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.
cosmik debris
- 734
- 173
WWGD said:Isn't it Len('Benstein')==
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.
Oh man, I finally got it. I thought it was some kind of Cockney rhyming slang.
Cheers
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:Isn't it Len('Benstein')==
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.
License freely given. I have read that the Gran Maestro made jokes about his own name. When reporters shouted "Mister Bern-steen" he would turn and shout "stine!. That's birn-stine!". Or perhaps it was the other way around; I can never remember.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Or we can make it otherwise: Let's convince Al Franken to hook up his daughter with Ben Stein's son...Klystron said:License freely given. I have read that the Gran Maestro made jokes about his own name. When reporters shouted "Mister Bern-steen" he would turn turn and shout "stine!. That's birn-stine!". Or perhaps it was the other way around; I can never remember.![]()
Though for name's sake, I always wanted a congressional committee formed by Akaka, Sununu, Shalala: Akaka-Sununu-Shalala. Sounds more interesting than any other I have seen so far.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2