What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
At least he'll be able to https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/tours/puppetry-of-the-penis-star-spills-on-the-audience-member-who-left-him-shocked/news-story/3f8f8e9b7791e998ab30a9b96793a3e1, unlike some Masters and PhD degrees.WWGD said:Just read about this guy who has a B.S degree in Puppetry. If he advances, goes further into it, he may end up with a Masters...A Master of Puppets. [...]
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I think I would prefer unemployment to it. EDIT: But it would be interesting to see their business cards/CVs.strangerep said:At least he'll be able to https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/tours/puppetry-of-the-penis-star-spills-on-the-audience-member-who-left-him-shocked/news-story/3f8f8e9b7791e998ab30a9b96793a3e1, unlike some Masters and PhD degrees.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
What is it about the waiters at the Thai place. Everytime I show up, this guy asks: " Yes Sir?", and I reply: " One for the lunch special". This for some 40+ times by now. Next time walk in and he asks me, I will reply : " Can Chai come out and play soccer in the park?". Seriously, what else woulda customer drop by a restaurant?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I wonder if one can go backwards from sampling to estimate population parameters when knowing the pop parameters and, e.g., samples keep missing the known pop parameters. I saw some 8-10 women above 6' in the last few days. Does that mean I am experiencing unusual situations?
- 13,926
- 16,805
A two-sample t-test or a Mann-Whitney U/Wilcoxon rank-sum test will let you know how probable it is that the mean of two samples is the same. Or a chi-square goodness-of-fit test if you are just considering tall/not tall. Which one is appropriate depends exactly what you are measuring.
You'd have to do a proper random sampling exercise, though. It's possible that you simply noticed a couple of tall women and your brain is now helpfully flagging tall women, and you suddenly have the impression they're everywhere.
You'd have to do a proper random sampling exercise, though. It's possible that you simply noticed a couple of tall women and your brain is now helpfully flagging tall women, and you suddenly have the impression they're everywhere.
- 20,819
- 28,467
There is a German song about a gambler. The lyrics is about the 17 at a roulette table. A friend of mine kept betting on 17 and lost one game after the other. Do you believe me, that 17 actually fell, the moment he had left the table? And there was my then girlfriend who observed a long series of RED and wanted to apply the doubling algorithm on BLACK. Needless to say that BLACK fell after she ran out of her budget. So, I guess the answer is NO.
But there are of course general developments: people grow taller and fatter than they used to, caused by better nutrition. I remember a lingerie shop in a mall whose assortment was diametral to what I saw outside the shop running around in the mall. I couldn't figure out whether the shop owner was exceptionally stupid or just tried to have the ordinary women out of his shop. I think I could rule out that he ran out of articles for otherwise I would have been able to observe a demand while I was in there.
This leads me back to a favorite quotation of mine: "And as the probability is not always on the side of the truth, so it happened ..." (Michael Kohlhaas, H. Kleist)
But there are of course general developments: people grow taller and fatter than they used to, caused by better nutrition. I remember a lingerie shop in a mall whose assortment was diametral to what I saw outside the shop running around in the mall. I couldn't figure out whether the shop owner was exceptionally stupid or just tried to have the ordinary women out of his shop. I think I could rule out that he ran out of articles for otherwise I would have been able to observe a demand while I was in there.
This leads me back to a favorite quotation of mine: "And as the probability is not always on the side of the truth, so it happened ..." (Michael Kohlhaas, H. Kleist)
- 13,926
- 16,805
I am sitting on the train opposite someone with an honest-to-God Salvador Dali moustache.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Almost hot into a really stupid fight at the supermarket when I accidentally took someone else's cart
"No, it's not really your stuff until you have paid for it". Failed effort at levity. Can't believe someone would want to make such a deal out of something, frankly, so stupid.
"No, it's not really your stuff until you have paid for it". Failed effort at levity. Can't believe someone would want to make such a deal out of something, frankly, so stupid.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Did he* have one of those bent-out-of-shape clocks on his wrist or on himself otherwise? Double check and say 'Cheers, Salvador'.Or go into : "Well hello, Dali, yes hello Dali...".Ibix said:I am sitting on the train opposite someone with an honest-to-God Salvador Dali moustache.
*It would be surreal (ha-ha) if it was a woman with a Dali-like mustache.
Last edited:
- 13,926
- 16,805
Not that I noticed. Maybe it had dripped onto the floor?WWGD said:Did he* have one of those bent-out-of-shape clocks on his wrist or on himself otherwise?
It was a very impressive moustache, however. I mentioned it to a colleague, who wondered how one sleeps while wearing such a thing. I presume it's waxed and the wax is removable and you just look like Fu Manchu overnight?
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
- 2,358
- 1,274
I do a weekly crossword-type puzzle (in the Radio Times magazine) and one of the recent answers was BIRTHDAY on my birthday. Weird!
- 20,819
- 28,467
Ibix said:... who wondered how one sleeps while wearing such a thing.
There are more sophisticated versions out there, which I remember, but couldn't find a photo of. They press the entire think onto your skin while asleep. It doesn't prevent the carrier from shaping it again in the morning, but it prevents the hair from breaking and keeps the general form.
Attachments
- 13,926
- 16,805
I love PF. You even learn stuff from reporting off-hand semi-rhetorical questions someone else asked...fresh_42 said:View attachment 238371
There are more sophisticated versions out there, which I remember, but couldn't find a photo of.
- 20,819
- 28,467
All the time!Ibix said:I love PF. You even learn stuff from reporting off-hand semi-rhetorical questions someone else asked...
Borg said:It's called an indicisajig.
Ibix said:A two-sample t-test or a Mann-Whitney U/Wilcoxon rank-sum test will let you know how probable it is that the mean of two samples is the same. Or a chi-square goodness-of-fit test if you are just considering tall/not tall. Which one is appropriate depends exactly what you are measuring.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I remember the comment by Ken Jennings that the difference between a history degree and a pizza is that a pizza can feed a family of three. Ouch!strangerep said:At least he'll be able to https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/tours/puppetry-of-the-penis-star-spills-on-the-audience-member-who-left-him-shocked/news-story/3f8f8e9b7791e998ab30a9b96793a3e1, unlike some Masters and PhD degrees.
OCR
- 996
- 936
- 20,819
- 28,467
Celery and peanut butter?WWGD said:Only now I can't remember what I needed to buy!??!
- 20,819
- 28,467
Better than mine recently.WWGD said:Can't tell, my psychic's on vacation.
Me: I'm so happy today!
Life: Sorry, was at the loo. I'll deal with it asap!
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
I just did a screen replacement on an iPhone 7. It was in some kind of rubber case which has left stains on the back of the phone. I've tried scrubbing with cotton wool and acetone, white spirits and isopropanol but neither of them worked 
- 20,819
- 28,467
The answer is: Any percentage ##[x\%]## of ##[ \cdot ]## zero ##[ 0]## is ##[=]## zero ##[0]##. Thus his algorithm isn't applicable, as it assumes a unique answer.
- 13,926
- 16,805
Either. It ain't exactly the Queen's English.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Haven't answered the phone in two years, but was expecting a return call from the police the other day, so I answered it.
It was someone from Germany.
She's apparently an old friend of my mother's.
My mom died 26 years ago.
Never did get a call from the police.
Though, I think I mentioned it was a trivial matter.
It was someone from Germany.
She's apparently an old friend of my mother's.
My mom died 26 years ago.
Never did get a call from the police.
Though, I think I mentioned it was a trivial matter.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
