What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Fundamental theorem of engineering: ##\pi = e = 3 = 2 ## roughly.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:
Fundamental theorem of engineering: ##\pi = e = 3 = 2 ## roughly.
I had a snob Math Stats prof. you said that an engineer is someone who believes infinity starts at n=30 ( Central Limit Theorem, etc.). Bet he never had to take a 17 credit load or do heavy EE or else.
 
A kind of weird angle. I overheard this exchange:
" You know how old people are".
I replied:
No, how old are they?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
nuuskur said:
Fundamental theorem of engineering: ##\pi = e = 3 = 2 ## roughly.

Yes, and the popular: 1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1.

Cheers
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137 and nuuskur
Still trying to control my promiscuous PC mouse that latches/clicks onto everything when someone farts in Western China.
I went over the mouse sensitivity, but no change in sight.
 
WWGD said:
Still trying to control my promiscuous PC mouse that latches/clicks onto everything when someone farts in Western China.
I went over the mouse sensitivity, but no change in sight.
Optical (sensor failure), wireless (batteries), or ball (dirt)? It could as well be the browser, at least I had this error. A restart of the browser did it.
 
fresh_42 said:
Optical (sensor failure), wireless (batteries), or ball (dirt)? It could as well be the browser, at least I had this error. A restart of the browser did it.
A 'hand' or sliding mouse. Thanks a lot, I guess you took a deep breath and my SQL Server opened up and even somehow ran a query. I told you it was promiscuous.
 
I am still trying to push for March 16: 3.16 as Square Root 10 day. Better approx than 3.14 for Pi day. But , to be honest, then we would have to celebrate 2.23 as Square root 5 day, etc.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
It's no better approximation, but anyway, only 5.25 counts.
## | 3.14 - \pi| > | 3.16 - \sqrt10| ##. Not sure of what you mean with the 5.25, unless you mean that ##5^2=25##, which seems to trivialize the issue, since then ##1^2=1 ##, etc.
 
WWGD said:
## | 3.14 - \pi| > | 3.16 - \sqrt10| ##. Not sure of what you mean with the 5.25, unless you mean that ##5^2=25##, which seems to trivialize the issue, since then ##1^2=1 ##, etc.
##0.00159265 \approx | 3.14 - \pi| \ngeq | 3.16 - \sqrt{10}| \approx 0.00227766 ##

I meant May, 25th, of course!
 
fresh_42 said:
##0.00159265 \approx | 3.14 - \pi| \ngeq | 3.16 - \sqrt{10}| \approx 0.00227766 ##

I meant May, 25th, of course!
Ok, my bad. Then I can still tell the lie that my great-great-great-great grandfather ( who was really my great-great-great grandfather, but he was really great) was born on March 14 1592 : 3.141592. And for that matter you than have 1/1, 2/4, 3/9, 4/16 and 3/9/690000 = (6/3/00)^2
 
Last edited:
I have recently heard of a lot of cats' health being damaged because their owners try to "inflict" their vegetarianism on the cats. Cats have evolved as carnivores and seem to need nutrients from meat.
 
WWGD said:
I have recently heard of a lot of cats' health being damaged because their owners try to "inflict" their vegetarianism on the cats. Cats have evolved as carnivores and seem to need nutrients from meat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:

No Tofu for me either. The closest I get to Veg is Indian food. Since I can't afford it, I will stick to meat, chicken. I never feel full -enough eating vegetarian.
 
fresh_42 said:
The beef industry is already working on meat that tastes like tofu to attack the vegetarian market.
...And destroy the meat-eating market, unless they don't sub in and keep the meat. The thing, AFAIK.s that it is essentially impossible to make controlled studies in nutrition. For one, how to make sure participants are sticking to the diet. That is just one of the issues: how to make sure the diet is the main factor affecting the variable in question.
 
This guy Sugar Ray has a song " " I just want to Fly"


I have trouble absorbing how someone can become so passionate about catching a fly, but I guess to each their own.
 
fresh_42 said:
The beef industry is already working on meat that tastes like tofu to attack the vegetarian market.
Can we agree that areal sausage should be either beef or pig? I ate a sausage with parts of chicken, pork, and might as well have chewed on a piece of rubber; lacking consistency.
 
WWGD said:
Can we agree that areal sausage should be either beef or pig? I ate a sausage with parts of chicken, pork, and might as well have chewed on a piece of rubber; lacking consistency.
As a compromise, yes. I would have added donkey for the sake of traditional salamis, but beef and pig is definitely o.k.

They have a lot of sausages from turkey here in the supermarkets, but I always thought that they are especially for the turkeys, which we also have a lot. But strangely enough, I never actually saw a turkey on a farm.
 
fresh_42 said:
As a compromise, yes. I would have added donkey for the sake of traditional salamis, but beef and pig is definitely o.k.

They have a lot of sausages from turkey here in the supermarkets, but I always thought that they are especially for the turkeys, which we also have a lot. But strangely enough, I never actually saw a turkey on a farm.
From Turkey or made of Turkey ( take a piece of dust , import it from Istanbul)? I know some Turkish people are upset because the name of their country is used for some food. Maybe they can counter and name turkeys "US' in their country: I want a US sandwich! Sorry to kid, your English is ##\infty## better than my (10-word) German.
 
But the more surreal part was last year when , during Thanksgiving apparently Turkey* attacked a plane. ??!

*Country? /Animal?
 
The turkey sausages are made from not in turkey, but I cannot imagine a native buying it, at least not the real natives. Modern women certainly do. For me it is with turkey for turkeys.
WWGD said:
I know some Turkish people are upset because the name of their country is used for some food.
Do not send them over here, since we use the word for something even less pleasant: "etwas türken" = to "turk" something = to fake something. Hmm, fits to the sausages ... but the origin was another:

During the opening ceremony of the Kiel Canal in 1895 the orchestra played the national anthems of the countries of the various ships which came to the ceremony. Unfortunately, the orchestra didn't have the notes for the Turkish hymn, so they played Mozart's "Alla Turca" (KV 331) instead. They faked the anthem, and the word became a synonym since then.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
The turkey sausages are made from not in turkey, but I cannot imagine a native buying it, at least not the real natives. Modern women certainly do. For me it is with turkey for turkeys.

.
With turkey for turkey by turkeys in US constitution, I think ( For the people...).
Turkey needs bacon's help to be "Sandwicheable"..
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
With turkey for turkey by turkeys in US constitution, I think ( For the people...).
Turkey needs bacon's help to be "Sandwicheable"..
If in doubt, add bacon!
 
Took care of friend's dog while friend was out. Playe3d goh
Fetch
with a boomerang. Dog never caught on.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Took care of friend's dog while friend was out. Play3d ho fetch with a boomerang. Dog never caught on.

I'm interested to know how ho fetch goes?

Cheers
 
cosmik debris said:
I'm interested to know how ho fetch goes?

Cheers
It's a game for people who are impatient and have fat fingers, like myself.
 
Just read on CNN: "... the trio had to abseil down ..."

I can't stop laughing. This sounds so incredibly wrong, I break together laughing.