What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
This is the standard: all recipients listed will be served. To avoid this would mean an extra routine which checks the list. And some might want to self send an email. It's a convenient way to write a reminder. Plus that such plausibility checks increase the error probability and tend to grow like a cancer over the years.WWGD said:Feel like pounding someone when I use email setup in such a way that unless one is very careful, one may self-send an email. Who designed this?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
But I never include myself as a recipient. And the only one who ends up as a recipient is myself. This is what I have trouble with; not that I am a recipient but that none of the other 'non-me' original recipients are included in the reply.fresh_42 said:This is the standard: all recipients listed will be served. To avoid this would mean an extra routine which checks the list. And some might want to self send an email. It's a convenient way to write a reminder. Plus that such plausibility checks increase the error probability and tend to grow like a cancer over the years.
Original Message
To: Recipient1, Recipient2,..., Recipientm
[Message Body]
Reply
To: Myself. Only, none of the recipients in original message included.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:Feel like pounding someone when I use email setup in such a way that unless one is very careful, one may self-send an email. Who designed this?
Perhaps your email handler program on your device(s) or your email subscription service (gmail, hotmail, etc.) has a configurable switch (option) to inhibit automatic self-send.
My email config: While I compose an email a copy appears in a draft sub-folder. When sent, the copy moves to sent sub-folder. Unless I explicitly place my email address in one of the To: Cc: blocks, I do not receive another copy. Best guess: see if the backup copy Bcc: includes your address.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thank you. I think I phrased things confusingly: I am the only recipient of the reply despite not including myself as a recipient., none of the recipients of the original is a default recipient for the reply. Yes, I will have to check the settings, but these seem to be default settings since I don't remember choosing them at any point.Klystron said:Perhaps your email handler program on your device(s) or your email subscription service (gmail, hotmail, etc.) has a configurable switch (option) to inhibit automatic self-send.
My email config: While I compose an email a copy appears in a draft sub-folder. When sent, the copy moves to sent sub-folder. Unless I explicitly place my email address in one of the To: Cc: blocks, I do not receive another copy. Best guess: see if the backup copy Bcc: includes your address.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
Are you using the "Reply" command or the "Reply All" command? "Reply" shouldn't go to any of the original recipients, it should go to the original sender.WWGD said:Thank you. I think I phrased things confusingly: I am the only recipient of the reply despite not including myself as a recipient., none of the recipients of the original is a default recipient for the reply. Yes, I will have to check the settings, but these seem to be default settings since I don't remember choosing them at any point.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
If one could jump back in time; I would first learn colloquial German, jump back to 19xx, and warn Erwin Schrödinger
"Dude, no animal examples in physics. No cats or bats, no mice or lice." .
"Dude, no animal examples in physics. No cats or bats, no mice or lice." .
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, why choose a cat ? Maybe cat is in the right Cat[] (category, or cat-egory)?Klystron said:If one could jump back in time; I would first learn colloquial German, jump back to 19xx, and warn Erwin Schrödinger
"Dude, no animal examples in physics. No cats or bats, no mice or lice." .
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
While we are at it, in case someone already knows the answer to this, I can look it up otherwise, but I have to dreg through all the trash and irrelevant results:
If I move email E into folder F, will any follow up email sent to me automatically land in F? Or will it land in my 'regular' inbox? Please reply only if you know it right away. EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Yes, for Yahoo.
If I move email E into folder F, will any follow up email sent to me automatically land in F? Or will it land in my 'regular' inbox? Please reply only if you know it right away. EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Yes, for Yahoo.
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
PF is cool!
I started a small talk with a lady in front of me at the grocery store as she tried to help me putting things on the belt. She seemingly didn't understand me or whatever, but she replied in English. Thanks PF, I had not the least difficulty to instantaneously switch language. And British are so polite! She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
I started a small talk with a lady in front of me at the grocery store as she tried to help me putting things on the belt. She seemingly didn't understand me or whatever, but she replied in English. Thanks PF, I had not the least difficulty to instantaneously switch language. And British are so polite! She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
In Britain we've seen so many American films and TV programmes that we can (usually) cope with American accents without any problem.fresh_42 said:She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Eather instead of ither. Did you also say poteito or potato? Tomeito/Tomato? But, by your own account , you did not call the whole thing off, it seems.fresh_42 said:PF is cool!
I started a small talk with a lady in front of me at the grocery store as she tried to help me putting things on the belt. She seemingly didn't understand me or whatever, but she replied in English. Thanks PF, I had not the least difficulty to instantaneously switch language. And British are so polite! She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I've forgotten to buy tomatoes and she wasn't interested in my potatoes.WWGD said:Eather instead of ither. Did you also say poteito or potato? Tomeito/Tomato? But, by your own account , you did not call the whole thing off, it seems.
- 13,926
- 16,804
Much more importantly than any UK/US divide, how do you pronounce grass? With a short a like acid or long a like arsenic?fresh_42 said:And She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Just say Fahvernugen (most likely wrongly written) next time.Or act out the Sprockets theme from SNL, with the hand movements and dance.fresh_42 said:PF is cool!
I started a small talk with a lady in front of me at the grocery store as she tried to help me putting things on the belt. She seemingly didn't understand me or whatever, but she replied in English. Thanks PF, I had not the least difficulty to instantaneously switch language. And British are so polite! She didn't even raised her eyebrow as I - what I realized later - answered in my American colored English and said "eather" instead of "ither", not to mention the melody of my sentences.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
I had difficulty in the past understanding British regional accents and colloquial expressions, then in late 1980's PBS station KTEH began daily broadcasts of East Enders. I would tape 5 segments a week* and binge-watch on the weekends with friends.DrGreg said:In Britain we've seen so many American films and TV programmes that we can (usually) cope with American accents without any problem.
After listening to pub-tenders Den and Ang arguing with fruit and veg seller Pete and wife Cath, I could even understand a crime drama set in Glasgow and the young Dennis Potter character (speaking Geordie?) in the series Singing Detective. While this is reminiscent of people 'learning' American English from reruns of Dallas, watching East Enders also helped me understand dialog in Shakespeare's plays.
*BBC originally broadcast two half-hour segments a week as 'soap operas'.
- 20,819
- 28,467
My sister is a hard core Elvis fan, so I grew up withIbix said:Much more importantly than any UK/US divide, how do you pronounce grass? With a short a like acid or long a like arsenic?
But to be honest, I cannot really figure out the difference to
And, yes I know he's not English.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Guess this should mean joy ride (Fahrvergnügen - close enough!). Thank god I didn't mention anything like this. She has been on a greenish mission ...WWGD said:Just say Fahvernugen ...
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Short 'a' pronounced like gas.Ibix said:Much more importantly than any UK/US divide, how do you pronounce grass? With a short a like acid or long a like arsenic?
Mnemonic: the growling dog bit me on my ...backside... Grrr + ass. Oh, wait; that's arse in British slang.
- 20,819
- 28,467
WWGD said:Then try the Sprockets thing. Don't Germans do so anyway, like, daily?
Nope. We do this (at 2:25):
- 20,819
- 28,467
This was a short (7 episodes) low budget sci-fi series in '66 (Space Patrol Orion); very low budget. They did everything to appear futuristic. The setup of the bridge e.g. included an iron as steering instrument and so on. It's meanwhile a cult and some cinemas (or tv) occasionally show all episodes in one night. But the theme is o.k.:WWGD said:Drunk Penguin Danzert?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
fresh_42 said:This was a short (7 episodes) low budget sci-fi series in '66 (Space Patrol Orion); very low budget. They did everything to appear futuristic. The setup of the bridge e.g. included an iron as steering instrument and so on. It's meanwhile a cult and some cinemas (or tv) occasionally show all episodes in one night. But the theme is o.k.:
A worrisome thing about all these futuristic shows is that it seems baldness has not been cured in the future: there are always bald guys staring in the shows.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Kind of paradoxical that changing to a healthier diet (more fruits, vegetables, water, cutting down on artificial additives; cutting down on sugar, etc.) has made me weaker in a way. When I eat something sugary or ladden with preservatives, it hits me way harder than when I was not as healthful.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2