What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Oh, the forum's got a facelift. It's like moving into a new apartment .. can't find anything :D
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Just read on CNN: "... the trio had to abseil down ..."

I can't stop laughing. This sounds so incredibly wrong, I break together laughing.
Abseil? Deutsche CNN eist?
 
.
WWGD said:
Abseil? Deutsche CNN eist?
CNN international - in English. I was laughing so hard that I had forgotten to look what the video was about. I only remember that it started with a zeppelin and ended somewhere on a peak in the Alps.
 
fresh_42 said:
.

CNN international - in English. I was laughing so hard that I had forgotten to look what the video was about. I only remember that it started with a zeppelin and ended somewhere on a peak in the Alps.
What does Abseil mean?
 
fresh_42 said:
To climb down a rope - from a roof, a mountain etc.
Few people think highly of CNN nowadays. Maybe other networks will advertise: "This is NOT CNN "
 
fresh_42 said:
To climb down a rope - from a roof, a mountain etc.
Few people think highly of CNN nowadays. Maybe other networks will advertise: "This is NOT CNN "
 
Seil = rope, ab = down
I assume it originated from Alpine climbing. E.g. a team of climbers is called a "Seilschaft" = team on a rope.
 
WWGD said:
Few people think highly of CNN nowadays. Maybe other networks will advertise: "This is NOT CNN "
... but this is another question, and a political one. I seriously doubt that there is any objective discussion about CNN around in the states of today. I basically stopped watching as they turned into a 100% inner US affairs broadcaster - guess since when! However, it is not as bad as some people like to make it appear - for their personal reasons I'd like to add!

And CNN international is different from CNN US, although it's hard to recognize these days.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Abseil away with me? Back to 90s?
That's actually true: "sich abseilen" is commonly used as "to leave" - often with the perspective to do something better!
 
fresh_42 said:
That's actually true: "sich abseilen" is commonly used as "to leave" - often with the perspective to do something better!

[/QUOTE]
Sich abseilen fur alter tv channel.
 
What do you expect? It is the same thing across the world: Those in the parliaments have absolutely no clue how internet works, they only pretend or even think they know. In fact they are preschool kids judging about the final exams.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur and russ_watters
I don't know if it is my imagination but after reviewing some measure theory , I heard the lirics: " I am (almost) every woman" ( No one plays songs from this century anymore it seems --I am Stressed Out") .
 
So there are finitely many women I am not? Sounds reasonable :DD
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Almost nowhere. EDIT: I assume the reason for older music is that we have not had a chance to filter out the good stuff from all the stuff playing. It takes time to do that; a general decision has been made of what is good from the 60's through around 2000, and this is what is played on the radio or piped in.
 
nuuskur said:
So there are finitely many women I am not? Sounds reasonable :DD
EDIT: "Maybe you are the one who makes it seem like there are infinitely many": bizarre statement: is it good, bad? I love these fence-sitters that seem to make sense but really don't and throw people off.
 
At any rate, don't be stressed out to wear the "Man in Tights" thing. Seems to make no sense in Summer; tights don't let the heat out.
 
Someone posted the question: Why do I need a Nas? Answer: So you have a place to Si Ton.
 
fresh_42 said:
What do you expect? It is the same thing across the world: Those in the parliaments have absolutely no clue how internet works, they only pretend or even think they know. In fact they are preschool kids judging about the final exams.
Why? Just because this congressperson hailed a taxi and told him: "Quick, take me to the Internet"?
 
There is only one country, Guyana, in the list of top 20 highest murder and suicide rate. I am sure there is a great story there, but have no clue of what that would be.
 
My parents want to visit my sister. My sister lives abroad. So I wanted to help them with the documents, online. I guess it turned out that there is no legal way to visit her.
 
My friend is Armenian. But his closure is Russian.
 
WWGD said:
My friend is Armenian. But his closure is Russian.
I had to gave up with the name (+ unclear id numbers, + too small fields, + ambiguous passport number).

Too bad if your name is Gauß, Schrödinger, Weierstraß or Gödel. No way to fill out the form correctly, and if you do a workaround (SS or OE), I guess homeland security won't let you pass because it is not what the passport says. How do Indian, Malaysian, Chinese or Russian people solve this problem? And my parents are definitely too old to try the Mexican border ...

They even asked for my parents parents names like in ...
"McCOY: I am ...McCoy, ...Leonard H., ...Son of David."

Damn, I'm going to tell them they shall meet in Toronto instead.
 
fresh_42 said:
They even asked for my parents parents names like in ...
"McCOY: I am ...McCoy, ...Leonard H., ...Son of David."

Damn, I'm going to tell them they shall meet in Toronto instead.
Maybe they prefer Tiberius.
 
I guess singing into my phone and hoping Shazam will recon the song shows I was bored. And ignoring how horrible my singing is.
 
corporate pilot said:
Hey, is that your helicopter?
Some of the stories this guy writes are absolutely hilarious. . . here's one of them.

Runways are for beauty queens:DD . :DD
As the airspeed indicator crept lower and lower, my friend sat straighter and straighter in his seat.

.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
I'm preparing to build a 1:600 scale version of the Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise (a Revell model, about 48 cm in length assembled). I am thinking of painting it using airbrush, trying to get close to the original series studio model colors, where the hull color actually is a blend of gray and green. I am also considering putting in LEDs at all the windows/viewports if possible, which will be quite a job to do, since there are many of them on the ship :nb):

(Edit: By the way, https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/model-starship-enterprise-television-show-star-trek, which is about 3 meters (11 feet) long.)

33656722188_e87bd74bbc_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, pinball1970 and BillTre
DennisN said:
I'm preparing to build a 1:600 scale version of the Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise (a Revell model, about 48 cm in length assembled). I am thinking of painting it using airbrush, trying to get close to the original series studio model colors, where the hull color actually is a blend of gray and green. I am also considering putting in LEDs at all the windows/viewports if possible, which will be quite a job to do, since there are many of them on the ship :nb):

(Edit: By the way, https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/model-starship-enterprise-television-show-star-trek, which is about 3 meters (11 feet) long.)

View attachment 241302

You can get very small different coloured strip LEDs that are pretty cheap on E-bayA Red LED where the engine/lithium crystal is obviously.

Please take some images when you have finished it. Suspend it from the ceiling turn the lights down/off and switch her on.It’s great to know this is what educated, qualified, professional grown men do in their spare time!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and DennisN