What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Met this guy I hadn't seen in a few months. His hair , during this time, went from being dark to being almost fully white. I knd of gasped, but had no idea if I should ask him about it. He acted as if it was normal, as if nothing had happened. Then again, there was this other guy I knew who would fart in front of me and say nothing, as if this was a normal thing. Maybe I should review the company I keep.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Volunteers in the street: "Sir, would you like to change the world". Reply:"What, you mean in exchange for a new one?".
Volunteers:"...??!"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and strangerep
It is interesting hearing tourists identify beaches as the ones with “pretty people”, “uglier people”, “stereotypical people”, and “industrial people”.

They were from Germany
 
Another weirdly-phrased question: " How do I turn 75 minutes into days?"

Wait at least 22 hrs and 45 minutes?
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
It is interesting hearing tourists identify beaches as the ones with “pretty people”, “uglier people”, “stereotypical people”, and “industrial people”.

They were from Germany
Pretty sure they had a 47+ word for each of those? Unterstrandenfahrvernugengegeiserschaften? ( The "Ubercalifragilistikenexpialisheizer" is silent.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
WWGD said:
Another weirdly-phrased question: " How do I turn 75 minutes into days?"

Wait at least 22 hrs and 45 minutes?
I know people who can turn far less into days if you have to listen to them.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: JBA
WWGD said:
Pretty sure they had a 47+ word for each of those? Unterstrandenfahrvernugengegeiserschaften? ( The "Ubercalifragilistikenexpialisheizer" is silent.)
Oh indeed it was poetic
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
I know people who can turn far less into days if you have to listen to them.
Ouch! I hadn't been told that in a while ( by my students, who recorded my classes and then listened to them to put themselves to sleep.)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
I know people who can turn far less into days if you have to listen to them.
But I think the question meant was that of what fraction of a day is 75 minutes. So you divide 75 by 24*60.
 
WWGD said:
Ouch! I hadn't been told that in a while ( by my students, who recorded my classes and then listened to them to put themselves to sleep.)
That sounds lovely, you should upload your lectures on Spotify as ASMR
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That sounds lovely, you should upload your lectures on Spotify as ASMR
That was from a while back when I taught.
 
Somewhat surprised to see Combinatorics reported here in the New York Times newspaper this fine Sunday morning. Does this imply that combinatorics is now "dead", in the sense that exposure on public media is the "kiss of death" for STEM ideas?
 
Red skies in the evening with a few rain drops, ...
redrain.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and Klystron
dlgoff said:
Red skies in the evening with a few rain drops, ...
View attachment 248692
I was about to suggest stars are much closer to wherever it is you're from :D
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
nuuskur said:
I was about to suggest stars are much closer to wherever it is you're from :D
My guess is Betelgeuse. Maybe we should call him Mr. President.
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and ProfuselyQuarky
Interesting rule of thumb I heard recently: In civil service exams*, the longest answer is usually the correct one.

*Multiple choice exams.
 
Seeing the anti-terrorist task force policeman drinking fruity-green Starbucks drinks doesn't make me feel particularly safer.
 
WWGD said:
Seeing the anti-terrorist task force policeman drinking fruity-green Starbucks drinks doesn't make me feel particularly safer.
Just read today that Boris Becker (51, and unfortunately co-moderator at the Open) failed to by a beer. Strange country this is.
 
Just tuned in the evening news. Little Climate Gretel is arriving in NYC and they cover it like the moon landing. Ridiculous.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frimus
Dangers of over-zealousness: I had a friend help me repair my PC. We had to remove many programs, as he said it was necessary. Later on I went to reinstall the removed programs...only to eventually find out he had reinstalled many himself when I was gone. Now I have duplicate files for most programs which I think ( hope, since I can't find an explanation) explain a lot of the cryptic error messages.
 
I zapped through the channels without sound and as I saw someone in a talk show I instantaneously and disgusted switched away. Now an hour later I met him again, this time with sound. Result: I can identify politicians even if I can't hear them and don't know them, because they are from another country within a tenth of a second. Plus I was right that it wasn't worth listening.
 
fresh_42 said:
Result: I can identify politicians even if I can't hear them and don't know them, because they are from another country within a tenth of a second.
It's the way their noses keep growing that's a dead giveaway.
 
fresh_42 said:
in a talk show
Ibix said:
dead giveaway.
Habitat, perhaps?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Habitat sans humanity?
 
Last edited:
Very wide ranging news sources from all viewpoints. Reading conflicting captions without clicking the whole report, I find I can determine for myself which are reality. Often this is opposite of my mother in law's reaction.
Early learning is important to all sides.
 
Has anybody recognized that the guitars went from breast to hips between the 60's and nowadays?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron