What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
2 out of 3 are electric:nuuskur said:I imagine acoustic guitars are worn quite high, still (when playing while standing, that is). Don't quote me on that, though.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
In the southern hemisphere they're called "cyclones" (they rotate the opposite way to the hurricanes of the northern hemisphere).nuuskur said:[...] Yasi in Australia [...]
Yeah,"Yasi" was seriously bad. "Debbie" (a few years later) was also pretty bad, and further south -- the Whitsunday Island area was badly smashed. Some resorts are only now (3 yrs later) accepting guests again.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Oops, too late; I quoted younuuskur said:I imagine acoustic guitars are worn quite high, still (when playing while standing, that is). Don't quote me on that, though.
fresh_42 said:2 out of 3 are electric:
While the math seems correct, comparing the height of the Hermits to that Gibson guitar, makes position uncertain.
Frimus
- 64
- 55
fresh_42 said:Just tuned in the evening news. Little Climate Gretel is arriving in NYC and they cover it like the moon landing. Ridiculous.
Modern times are characterized by a shortening of the path from good intent to total madness.
Science Advisor
- 929
- 1,226
I massively underestimated the power of such a storm (Yasi was my maiden voyage, so to speak). Hell, the effects of it were felt even across the continent in WA (the kind of effects I was used to, so nothing special). I thought to myself, ok there's going to be some wind and rain. There was.. a lot more than I thought.strangerep said:In the southern hemisphere they're called "cyclones" (they rotate the opposite way to the hurricanes of the northern hemisphere).
Yeah,"Yasi" was seriously bad. "Debbie" (a few years later) was also pretty bad, and further south -- the Whitsunday Island area was badly smashed. Some resorts are only now (3 yrs later) accepting guests again.
The messed up part about Yasi is that only like a month or two before, QLD was hit with massive rainfall. I have no idea how the aussies persevere through all that: storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, red kangaroos, flies.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
No, we don't have volcanoes, and very few earthquakes.nuuskur said:I have no idea how the aussies persevere through all that: storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, red kangaroos, flies.
Long droughts are a slow death, then ridiculous floods in the same areas show us how stupid we are in failing to invest in better dams and water management.
Bushfires can be truly terrifying, however. Flames leaping 100's of ft into the sky, moving faster than you can run. Sometimes even pyro-tornadoes (a moving, whirling, tower of flame). Some years ago, the bushland south of Sydney suffered this devastation. There was news footage of 3 of these tall fire tornadoes wafting across the land. It's an image I'll never forget.
Red kanagroos? I kinda like them, even though the males can be big and dangerous if you don't treat them with respect. Where I live, the kangaroos are of the "eastern grey/brown" variety -- somewhat smaller and usually placid unless cornered or threatened. There is often a small mob of them grazing within metres of my back door. Sometimes as many as 16, not counting joeys in pouches. They're really cute, but quite timid.
Flies? Not everywhere. Most of the population lives near the coasts, where flies are more of a moderate pest rather than plague. In QLD, where I now live, many homes have "Florida" screening on their verandahs or balconies, which makes a huge difference.
All in all, I'm quite happy to live in a coastal area of QLD.
- 20,819
- 28,467
We have only a group of red-necked wallabies. At least we had them for 4 winters. From 5 on they count as introduced. Don't know whether they made it.
- 13,926
- 16,804
They didn't have it because it's hard to come by.WWGD said:Someone asked for the definition of 'scarcity'.
HankDorsett
Gold Member
- 82
- 29
Continuing on from the very first response to this thread. What are your thoughts on the show that validates children's believes that they see and talk to ghosts?
I haven't watched it yet, mainly due to shows like this make me want to throw something at my TV. To me this seems criminal, between the parents raising their children to believe in such nonsense as well as these shows profiting a psychological issue in children makes me kind of angry.
I haven't watched it yet, mainly due to shows like this make me want to throw something at my TV. To me this seems criminal, between the parents raising their children to believe in such nonsense as well as these shows profiting a psychological issue in children makes me kind of angry.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
My late wife was an angry person; tiny in stature but towering in rage. Perhaps her diet affected her mood. She only ate vegan, only on Wednesdays. She only ate orange foods on Wednesdays: oranges, carrots, persimmons, pork rinds. As a Theravada Buddhist she expected reincarnation in spirit form. I keep a spirit house for her on the front porch in case she visits. Actually, a bird house but very nice. The spirit (bird) house also has a tiny front porch. Do you think the tiny spirit house on my front porch has a tinier spirit house on its front porch?
Her albino Siamese cat "Blackie" was also very angry, when she was awake. Blackie also ate vegan, or possibly vegetarian. Blackie only ate animals who only ate seeds and such. Actually, Blackie would eat anything that fit in her mouth. Like most albino Siamese cats Blackie was deaf. Albino rats could sneak up behind her and scare the vegetarian remains right out of her.
[Edit: You caught me: pork rinds are not vegan. Sorry. Blackie was deaf, though.]
Her albino Siamese cat "Blackie" was also very angry, when she was awake. Blackie also ate vegan, or possibly vegetarian. Blackie only ate animals who only ate seeds and such. Actually, Blackie would eat anything that fit in her mouth. Like most albino Siamese cats Blackie was deaf. Albino rats could sneak up behind her and scare the vegetarian remains right out of her.
[Edit: You caught me: pork rinds are not vegan. Sorry. Blackie was deaf, though.]
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
World feels like a better place to me after a bacon cheeseburger, or any reasonably-good meat. I just don't feel full-enough after most vegan-vegetarian meals.Klystron said:My late wife was an angry person; tiny in stature but towering in rage. Perhaps her diet affected her mood. She only ate vegan, only on Wednesdays. She only ate orange foods on Wednesdays: oranges, carrots, persimmons, pork rinds. As a Theravada Buddhist she expected reincarnation in spirit form. I keep a spirit house for her on the front porch in case she visits. Actually a bird house but very nice. The spirit (bird) house also has a tiny front porch. Do you think the tiny spirit house on my front porch has a tiny spirit house on its front porch?
Her albino Siamese cat "Blackie" was also very angry, when she was awake. Blackie also ate vegan, or possibly vegetarian. Blackie only ate animals who only ate seeds and such. Actually, Blackie would eat anything that fit in her mouth. Like most albino Siamese cats Blackie was deaf. Albino rats could sneak up behind her and scare the vegetarian remains right out of her.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Seriously, my late wife was Cordon Bleu -- a blue ribbon chef having owned several successful restaurants. True to the Master Chef stereotype her bad temper eventually destroyed employee relationships. Roast meats were her Kryptonite. She rarely ate the meat. Like her countrymen she loved the coagulated juices and fats beneath the roast.WWGD said:World feels like a better place to me after a bacon cheeseburger, or any reasonably-good meat. I just don't feel full-enough after most vegan-vegetarian meals.
I warned her about excess cholesterol but Thais do not always distinguish between "R" and "L" spoken sounds. She probably thought I was talking about building another colocation site and would nod her head; reply, "Yes, Honey."; and fall asleep with Blackie in her lap licking grease off her fingers.
She called everyone "Honey" and everyone called her Honey, as I was the only American who could pronounce her name correctly. Ironically, the English translation of her name is "Iris".
- 20,819
- 28,467
Maybe the song has been recorded in winter.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
I never understood "I want to fly like a beagle...".
OK a flying dog sounds cool, but is he going to flap his ears?
OK a flying dog sounds cool, but is he going to flap his ears?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,532
- 462
WWGD said:Just listened to this song in my YouTube "Path" : " I just want to fly" by Sugar Ray ( Sugar A?) . Don't get how someone is so passionate about finding a fly. Fly -fishing? Ok, dude, just catch a fly and you're done.
Decades ago when I worked in Nigeria, there was a joke among expats in Nigeria that goes:
When an expa first arrives in Africa and finds a fly in his drink, he becomes incensed and yells "Waiter, there is a fly in my drink!" and demands a new drink.
After a couple of months in the country, when he finds a fly in his drink, he just picks it out and drinks the drink.
After a bit longer in the country, if receives a drink with no fly he become incensed and shouts "Waiter, where is my fly!"
Hence: the song "I just want to fly"
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Umm,... and what about every religion/cult that's been doing something similar for thousands of years in order to control and fleece a gullible population... ?HankDorsett said:Continuing on from the very first response to this thread. What are your thoughts on the show that validates children's believes that they see and talk to ghosts?
I haven't watched it yet, mainly due to shows like this make me want to throw something at my TV. To me this seems criminal, between the parents raising their children to believe in such nonsense as well as these shows profiting a psychological issue in children makes me kind of angry.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.)Klystron said:I never understood "I want to fly like a beagle...".

- 20,819
- 28,467
strangerep said:Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.)![]()
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
No need for Google!strangerep said:Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.)![]()
"Many men died tryin' to end the spree,
Of the bloody Red Baron of Ger-man-y..."
"Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more,
The Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score."
"Many men died tryin' to end the spree,
Of the bloody Red Baron of Ger-man-y..."
"In the nick of time a Hero arose,
A funny little dog with a big black nose..."
Now I get it!
"Fly like a beagle, to the Sea,
Fly like a beagle, let old Snoopy carry me..." dah-do-dah-du-du...
- 20,819
- 28,467
Do you know these people who wait 5 minutes in front of the counter and when it's their turn they start to discuss and debate what to order? At McDonald's?
I turned and left. If I accept to wait I go for some real food.
I turned and left. If I accept to wait I go for some real food.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
