What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 762K views
fresh_42 said:
I turned and left. If I accept to wait I go for some real food.
Burger Keiser?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
No. Wrong coke.
Pepsi Nugen? Or maybe Ted Nugen(t)?
 
I thought about the Colonel, but then I had to cross the entire town. Döner would have won if they had a place to park.
 
fresh_42 said:
I thought about the Colonel, but then I had to cross the entire town. Döner would have won if they had a place to park.
Why does Doner need to park? It is already there!
 
fresh_42 said:
I thought about the Colonel, but then I had to cross the entire town. Döner would have won if they had a place to park.
Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?
 
strangerep said:
Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.) :oldbiggrin:
fresh_42 said:


Here's one with a functional flying doghouse.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
The Beagle video's for sale very cheap... you can have it for peanuts *

* For peanuts, from peanuts, by peanuts..and Charles Schulz.
 
strangerep said:
Umm,... and what about every religion/cult that's been doing something similar for thousands of years in order to control and fleece a gullible population... ?
Even though I'm on a science forum that's still a topic that I won't touch. It's nearly impossible to talk to anyone with extreme viewpoints regardless of which side they are on.
 
HankDorsett said:
Even though I'm on a science forum that's still a topic that I won't touch. It's nearly impossible to talk to anyone with extreme viewpoints regardless of which side they are on.
Indeed. Fundamentalism in <insert a subject of your choice> is the total opposite of a scientific attitude which demands the willingness to question everything and take nothing for granted without proof or evidence. Both create necessarily a contradiction if mixed.
 
WWGD said:
Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?
Not anymore. It rather takes a walk nowadays. I'm not sure whether the TEE ever made it to Istanbul, but I had preferred this one anyway.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?
Btw. Yes, Döner have been invented by a Turk, Kadir Nurman. However, he lived in Berlin, so no trans europe express would have been needed.

The story is funny and tells something about cultures. The dish itself is old, and Nurman had opened a restaurant in Berlin, offering Turkish dishes. But he had no guests. Everybody was running by. To run in contrast to have a meal and two hours time in east Anatolia. So he simply thought: If the Germans do not have time to sit down and eat during their lunch break, I'll put my dishes in a pocket of flatbread and make it an "on-the-run".

At least this is the most popular version. You bet that several others also claim their versions.

Edit: An American student got so used to eat Döner when studying in Berlin, that he opened a Döner stand when back in Seattle. As the poor guy wasn't allowed to import the meat he experimented almost two years to reproduce the right mixture, consistency, and spices. When he finally got it, his business flourished. I hadn't a moment of doubt. It is like made for Americans, too: meat, salad in an eatable pocket and made in minutes. And honestly? It is better food than any burger, considering the nutritions.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
If his name is Alfred Nurman, or , even better Alfred E Nurman, please srend me one.
 
As a Math person, it hurts me deeply that apartment 1B is not just called apartment B. No units in ring of apartments? There is torsion, because if there are k stories in the complex then (k+1)B =0, because there is no (k+1)St floor. But no unity!
 
fresh_42 said:
One possibility, ##1## isn't a unit.
Maybe true, it is der Janitor's closet.
 
fresh_42 said:
Try not to ask him if he is a zero divisor ...
Alfred E Nurman : 0 dividekeit. Ich, worry?
 
Firefox update @#$% wiped out all my bookmarks. Will have to export them/save them from time-to-time from now on.
 
WWGD said:
update @#$% wiped out all my bookmarks.
Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Klystron
Bystander said:
Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?
Yup.
<Smashes compu...>
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Bystander said:
Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?
Right. We take x steps forward, y backwards and we hope that x>y. Not quite sure it's true. EDIT: I, and I am sure many others, had ignored the repeated warnings on blackboxing technology to the degree that we had, that it would increase complexity to the point of implosion. Maybe the day is here.
 
WWGD said:
My Ethiopian friend is highly Selassie.
I don't know if Selassie translates to "Se-Collie"
 
I know her brother, Timothy. Friends call him Timmy Selassie.

[Edit: From "Lassie, Come Home". Timmy's father, "Lassie, have you seen Timmy?]
 
Last edited:
Second person I run into whose name is (literally) 'Unique'. But I don't know how to speak 'meta', so I can't say , in speak: Are you unique(noun) or 'Unique'(name). So if you run into the two 'Unique' together: " So you are unique? You too?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Weird how one here in PF may report one's own post.
 
WWGD said:
Weird how one here in PF may report one's own post.
I think I've done that before, on purpose, for some reason or another (I don't remember the details).

Hitting the report button is a good way to get the mentors' attention on a subject, if you need their input or guidance, even if no bad behavior is necessarily involved.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, WWGD and Bystander
collinsmark said:
Hitting the report button is a good way to get the mentors' attention on a subject,
Yup, yup, yup.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark