What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
The former sounds like a nutcase and works only in the US, since there seems to be an overall assumption, that "they" - usually the government or its institutions like NASA - hide something, and the latter sounds like a very insecure male (?) person and I'm not sure where it works. LA?WWGD said:How would " That's what they want you to think" compare with: " My Life Coach said that..."?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
My life coach says...it works anywhere ;_. You just need to believe it! (Exclamation point necessary!).fresh_42 said:The former sounds like a nutcase and works only in the US, since there seems to be an overall assumption, that "they" - usually the government or its institutions like NASA - hide something, and the latter sounds like a very insecure male (?) person and I'm not sure where it works. LA?
- 20,819
- 28,467
But which people do have life coaches, and where?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 13,438
- 8,110
You've heard of forefathers? He seems to be my fourbrother.WWGD said:Are you related to Mark44?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Just found an interesting email in my inbox. I have been told that my parcel will arrive next week, including tracking number and so on. And, yes, I don't expect one. And, no, it wasn't spam or related tricks. It was only a newsletter from a serious company.
As I checked the mail I found the following situation: Imagine my name was Paul Smithe. Then the email was indeed a message addressed for Paula Smith. I wonder if I should try to tell her ...
As I checked the mail I found the following situation: Imagine my name was Paul Smithe. Then the email was indeed a message addressed for Paula Smith. I wonder if I should try to tell her ...
- 13,926
- 16,804
I was having lunch in a pub today, and a bloke comes in. Probably in his sixties, shaved head, nose looks like it's been broken a few times, an actual scab right on the bridge of it, and he moves like some of the senior grades at my martial arts club - weight centred at all times, even in a perfectly nice pub in central London. He walks up to the bar. "I'll 'av a large Chardonnay," he says.
That's an object lesson in making assumptions based on appearance right there (although you may need to be British to appreciate it - I'm not sure how much "Real Men only drink beer" permeates other countries).
That's an object lesson in making assumptions based on appearance right there (although you may need to be British to appreciate it - I'm not sure how much "Real Men only drink beer" permeates other countries).
Last edited:
Craftek_Ana
- 6
- 55
WWGD said:Weather report calls for "No clouds in the sky". Where else would they be?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Every aspect of life is addressed either in Seinfeld or the Simpsons.Craftek_Ana said:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 13,438
- 8,110
I could have sworn that the Wicked Witch of the West disappeared in a cloud of smoke that was not in the sky.WWGD said:Weather report calls for "No clouds in the sky". Where else would they be?
- 20,819
- 28,467
There are many places:WWGD said:Weather report calls for "No clouds in the sky". Where else would they be?
above ground - chamber - movie titles - around my head - ...
- 20,819
- 28,467
I finally figured out why the play football on Sunday: sacked on 3 and 8 a few minutes into the game. Sunday, for otherwise the whole weekend would be ruined.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I finally figured out why I so many baby mammals initiate a cuteness attack in me but not so homo sapiens. Easy: they are not ready when they are born. It should take much longer than it does. And the strange part is, that it's not due to body geometry, it's due to the energy balance. They start to need more than a breeding mother can provide. They are kicked out by hunger! At least I don't find fresh born marsupials cute either.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I don't get your point. It takes non-human animals just a few months if not weeks to be out and about after being born. It takes humans some 18 years to reach a similar level of maturity, development. A himan 18 -month old is much more vulnerable than most 18-m.o animals.fresh_42 said:I finally figured out why I so many baby mammals initiate a cuteness attack in me but not so homo sapiens. Easy: they are not ready when they are born. It should take much longer than it does. And the strange part is, that it's not due to body geometry, it's due to the energy balance. They start to need more than a breeding mother can provide. They are kicked out by hunger! At least I don't find fresh born marsupials cute either.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Well, I find baby elephants cute, and I can only remember one fresh born sapiens which I found cute. It was a little finnish boy who when given to his mother looked as if he just thought about the universe, the life and everything. Like a little Buddha with deep wrinkles in his forehead. Guess it was rather this association than the baby which amused me. And that thing with the energy balance was actually new to me. Before I thought it was mother's pelvis which set the constraints. No, it's the energy household.
- 20,819
- 28,467
This idiotic vaccination debate is always about MMR. Now, do anti-vaxxers also refuse polio and tetanus?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Energy household?fresh_42 said:Well, I find baby elephants cute, and I can only remember one fresh born sapiens which I found cute. It was a little finnish boy who when given to his mother looked as if he just thought about the universe, the life and everything. Like a little Buddha with deep wrinkles in his forehead. Guess it was rather this association than the baby which amused me. And that thing with the energy balance was actually new to me. Before I thought it was mother's pelvis which set the constraints. No, it's the energy household.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
They want to buy into the good things society offers but not accept demands, expectations most have on themselves. Go live in the #% wilderness, in your own society.fresh_42 said:This idiotic vaccination debate is always about MMR. Now, do anti-vaxxers also refuse polio and tetanus?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Balance. The fetus demands more nutrition than the placenta can provide.WWGD said:Energy household?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
And plenty of resources once they are outside. They are vulnerable for a long period of time. Unlike most other animals( though humans are not as exposed to predators).fresh_42 said:Balance. The fetus demands more nutrition than the placenta can provide.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Bias confirmed by reality. I am sitting down enjoying a couple of pizza slices. Guy comes in, talking to himself. 1st clue. Starts getting louder. 2nd clue. Refers to himself in 3rd person ( I am assuming, I obviously don't know his real name, but it seemed to be the case). 3rd clue, I am out. I go back latter, police had been called in. And I don't mean Sting et al.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Edit: The topic , context suggested it, but you're right that I can't be certain. He started talking at one point, without an introduction, i.e., something like hello, what you doing, etc. you often hear when a conversation begins.Bystander said:How can/could you tell? These days, ear buds and phones are invisible...thirty and forty years ago, definitely a nut case; today...?
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
There are two people on Earth - correction: only one left - which always make me automatically smile.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
