What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,476
hmmm27 said:
Pure'ish serendipity, or possibly my tinfoil hat's sprung a leak : I googled for "Lester Telser" and that came up as an alternative spelling.<tl;dr> Issa joke </tl;dr>
It stems from the anachronistic trope "men are useless", which was popular in the (19)70s/80s, pervasive in family-oriented TV/movies : husband/dad's a klutz and the wife/kids have to compensate : hilarity ensues.

The kernel of truth is that women are better at multitasking (I won't posit biological andor cultural) : the underlying message promotes the idea of women in the workplace.
Yes, there is a difference in brain wiring and I guess form follows function ( and vice versa).

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,477
WWGD said:
Yes, there is a difference in brain wiring and I guess form follows function ( and vice versa).
That'd be something for actual Science(s) to weigh in on in anything but a speculative manner. But, it's probably safe to say "millions of years of biology, reinforced by tens of thousands of years of culture". Just don't say it in the wrong place/time, or pretend there isn't a long list of caveats.

• #6,478
hmmm27 said:
That'd be something for actual Science(s) to weigh in on in anything but a speculative manner. But, it's probably safe to say "millions of years of biology, reinforced by tens of thousands of years of culture". Just don't say it in the wrong place/time, or pretend there isn't a long list of caveats.
Of course, I use it in an oversimplified way in this casual subforum , giving the Reader's Digest version.

• #6,480
That's wrong with the world we live in:
english version said:
Brian Harold May is an English musician, singer, songwriter, record producer, and astrophysicist.
german version said:
Brian Harold May is a British guitarist, composer, singer, astrophysicist, non-fiction author and animal rights activist.

• #6,481
I have an asian restaurant nearby. But I never figured out what kind, i.e. where from Asia. Not japanese, that's all which was obvious. Today I found out. It took a Coronavirus and a heat wave to gain sufficient evidence.

Because of the Corona virus, they had installed an extra temporary counter further away from the cooking place. This made someone necessary to transport (and translate) the order. Thus they had a young lady who normally isn't there to do the job. And I guess she is the only one who speaks the natives' language well enough. Moreover we have currently a heat wave here: ##\approx 90\,°F##, and the young lady ran around like she would probably do at home: both, in her asian as well as in her local home: shoes and XL t-shirt. This left only one plausible option.

• #6,483
San Francisco vs Blade Runner (2049)

1599738561114.png

Likes DennisN, Borg, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #6,484
Got a new task: the 'specification' is a simple page of schematic without additional data, with many serious problems.
No changes allowed, must be done within a day or two.
My first time for GIGO
Gotta' get a beer once done. And wait for the fireworks to start.

Likes Ibix
  • #6,485
I found this texbook the other day in a second hand shop, in a shelf next to a book about astrology.
I hadn't planned to get a book on quantum optics, but the price was only half a dollar (!), so I got it.
I guess it was written in the stars.

Quantum Optics.jpg

I also got a book on chemistry for half a dollar: :smile:

Chemistry.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Keith_McClary and etotheipi
  • #6,486
After wearing face masks.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #6,487
Does anybody know how the minimal distances of english words of a given length are distributed? Or what is the minimal word length where the minimal distance is at least two?

• #6,488
  • #6,490
Interesting article on the FT on how while most creative people are in larger cities, they are usually born on smaller ones. The dullness of the smaller towns compel them to find and create their own entertainment to avoid ending up bored to tears. City dwellers, by comparison, have ready-made entertainment by just driving and walking around. Article by Janan Ganesh, who's written a few other interesting ones.

• #6,491
I think people on PF can be broadly classified into two categories:-
1. Who don't want their brain to stop working
2. Who want their brain to start working.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #6,492
Hemant said:

I think you missed...

3. Who are using PF as a procrastination mechanism

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Tom.G and Frigus
  • #6,493
Hemant said:
etotheipi said:
I think you missed...

3. Who are using PF as a procrastination mechanism
But these aren't mutually exclusive categories.

Likes etotheipi
  • #6,494
DrGreg said:
But these aren't mutually exclusive categories.

Point taken, though if you're procrastinating perhaps that means you don't want your brain to do any work... or maybe you actually do, but you're actively suppressing it... that's quite philosophical, isn't it ☺

• #6,495
And those of us trying to figure out what you're %#!$ talking about in the above discussion ;).

• Haha
Likes etotheipi and Frigus
  • #6,496
After reading a 500+ post thread on another site on why people who put the cereal on the bowl before the milk are idiots, with insults galore, even a few death threats, I feel greateful again for PF!

• Love
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,497
WWGD said:
After reading a 500+ post thread on another site on why people who put the cereal on the bowl before the milk are idiots, with insults galore, even a few death threats, I feel greateful again for PF!
I knew I'm an idiot. However, you shouldn't smoke the hard stuff if you are prone to bad trips (pun intended).

• #6,498
Any rewards for 3/3 ?

• #6,499
3/3=1??

• #6,501
WWGD said:
What were you reading? The Facebook local page for Lilliput?

• #6,502
Ibix said:
I lost track of it. Let me look it up.

• #6,503
Pretty cool map:
main-qimg-029088f31dfcf758ce115f7bc50f284a.png

• #6,504
Ibix said:
All I know is the name Laputa ( La puta) did not do well in Spanish-speaking countries.

• #6,505
WWGD said:
Pretty cool map:
View attachment 271758
This is only the stereographic projection. The map should be clued to a sphere, as you can see on combinatorics and probability. And algebraic geometers did their best to combine abstract algebra with calculus, and algebraic topologist to do the same with topology. Mathematics is path connected but not simple connected. Mathematicians keep an eye on it, so that it won't become 0-homotope.

• #6,506
A way of throwing off a conversation: " What do you think about eating disorders?"
A: " I have trouble seeing how you can eat something abstract like a disorder"But I am not hungry anyway.

• #6,507
WWGD said:
" What do you think about eating disorders?"
A: "I have no trouble consuming disorders. Do you?"

• #6,508
WWGD said:
What do you think about eating disorders?
Waiter, I didn't order dis, I ordered dat.

• #6,509
WWGD said:
" What do you think about eating disorders?"
I suppose that's the opposite of eating orders after you've read them?

• #6,510
DrGreg said:
eating orders after you've read them?
107_6343.jpg