What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Maybe good time to change the topic, however fascinating it may be... ;). cc Cesar Millan.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
My autistic side. I hear " When I was younger..."
You were _always_ younger!
 
So, special is slightly smaller in size but includes an appetizer; total food more than same dish in standard format. But standard dish with less food more expensive. ?
 
How many names do Germans have nowadays?My "mentor" had 3: Johann Carl Friederich.
 
WWGD said:
So, special is slightly smaller in size but includes an appetizer; total food more than same dish in standard format. But standard dish with less food more expensive. ?
My brother-in-law once asked me, "What is the difference between fine dining and simply eating in a restaurant?"

I answered without much thought, "The portions are smaller!"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and WWGD
Klystron said:
My brother-in-law once asked me, "What is the difference between fine dining and simply eating in a restaurant?"

I answered without much thought, "The portions are smaller!"
Appeal to snobbery or gullibility or mental lazyness: Special must be better, because of name and price differences.
 
Klystron said:
My brother-in-law once asked me, "What is the difference between fine dining and simply eating in a restaurant?"

I answered without much thought, "The portions are smaller!"
I've seen successful fast food places outside of fancy places for those un-full by the smaller portions. Kind of a torture: extremely tasty but not large-enough to fill you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Dr William Schaffner's business card: " Yes, with a double f, not a t!"
 
WWGD said:
Dr William Schaffner's business card: " Yes, with a double f, not a t!"
His business is likewise uncertain. Schaffner is the German word for conductor (train).
 
fresh_42 said:
His business is likewise uncertain. Schaffner is the German word for conductor (train).
Fahrer? Gehfart?
 
WWGD said:
Fahrer? Gehfart?
No, the one who checks the tickets and communicates with the driver in stations.
 
fresh_42 said:
No, the one who checks the tickets and communicates with the driver in stations.
But definitely not the one ( playing the character) conducting the USS Enterprise.
Edit: But then again there is a college called Berkeley college that has nothing to see with UC Berkeley and there is Stamford Connecticut: "No, with an m, not an n."
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
But then again there is a college called Berkeley college that has nothing to see with UC Berkeley
Not to mention Berklee, in Bean-Town
 
gmax137 said:
Not to mention Berklee, in Bean-Town

I thought that was the one he wasn't mentioning.

Cheers
 
cosmik debris said:
I thought that was the one he wasn't mentioning.

Cheers
No, I was referring to a college called" Berkeley College" that has no affiliation with UC Berkeley.
 
If they ask :
What's your name?
Will Shaffner
You're the guy from Star Trek?
No, Shaffner, with an f. I'm from Stamford.
Ah, in California?
No, Stamford, with an m. In Connecticut.
I study at Berkeley College.
That's in California. Why did you say Connecticut?
No...
 
WWGD said:
Dr William Schaffner's business card: " Yes, with a double f, not a t!"
That takes me back...

What's the oldest body orbiting our Sun?
 
strangerep said:
That takes me back...

What's the oldest body orbiting our Sun?
Juffiter?? Venuff??
 
dlgoff said:
I never knew that Umlauts were used in the writing of English until I saw them in TV ads.
Are you süre they are?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
fresh_42 said:
I am:


Killed by dëath?
ëdit:

Në ver mind, Ace of Spades
 
"Watch free for 30 days".
What do I do with a watch for 30 days? I use my phone to tell time anyway.
Do they give someone else the watch afterwards?
 
WWGD said:
"Watch free for 30 days".
What do I do with a watch for 30 days? I use my phone to tell time anyway.
Do they give someone else the watch afterwards?
No. The watch gets detained after 30 days.
 
fresh_42 said:
No. The watch gets detained after 30 days.
Windows is activated??
 
WWGD said:
Windows is activated??
I don't get it. But do you know where the word comes from? It was the location where wind came into the house. People hadn't money for glass. Maybe MS shouldn't have named their OS by a thing which allowed intrusion by nature. Or was it on purpose?
 
I meant you would then the fortune and joy of dealing with Windows.
 
WWGD said:
"Watch free for 30 days".
What do I do with a watch for 30 days? I use my phone to tell time anyway.
Do they give someone else the watch afterwards?
Btw, be glad there is a watch. In 1974 there weren't any watches:
1576129666917.png
 
fresh_42 said:
Btw, be glad there is a watch. In 1974 there weren't any watches:
View attachment 254012
And the same is the case now. It seems Santa is warning he will steal it: "You better watch out...Santa Claus is coming to town". You've been warned. I don't use one fortunately.