What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I'm not ok. My oldest daughter Spawn, her young cat had cancer and underwent surgery, chemotherapy and radiation within the last year, and we were told she had been cleared of cancer.
A couple of weeks ago, she took a terrible turn for the worse, it was the cancer, she stopped eating, she was failing fast. My daughter had a home vet come and put her to sleep tonight at 6pm. I am gutted. I am devastated.
That was her child. That was my grandchild. The holidays are destroyed.
A couple of weeks ago, she took a terrible turn for the worse, it was the cancer, she stopped eating, she was failing fast. My daughter had a home vet come and put her to sleep tonight at 6pm. I am gutted. I am devastated.
That was her child. That was my grandchild. The holidays are destroyed.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Sorry to hear that Evo.Evo said:I'm not ok. My oldest daughter Spawn, her young cat had cancer and underwent surgery, chemotherapy and radiation within the last year, and we were told she had been cleared of cancer.
A couple of weeks ago, she took a terrible turn for the worse, it was the cancer, she stopped eating, she was failing fast. My daughter had a home vet come and put her to sleep tonight at 6pm. I am gutted. I am devastated.
That was her child. That was my grandchild. The holidays are destroyed.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Thank you. I can't even eat. They are like family.WWGD said:Sorry to hear that Evo.
OCR
- 996
- 936
For my wife and I, they basically are family. . . and you're left with a huge hole in yourEvo said:They are like family.
heart when they're gone. . . .
His name was Little, he was 21 years old. . .WWGD said:Sorry to hear that Evo.
The same goes for me. . .
.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I'm so sorry OCR, it never gets easier. I think it's the fact that they give their love so unconditionally and are so dependent upon us that makes the loss feel even deeper.OCR said:For my wife and I, they basically are family. . . and you're left with a huge hole in your
heart when they're gone. . . .His name was Little, he was 21 years old. . .
View attachment 253373
The same goes for me. . .
.
- 13,926
- 16,805
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Funny, our children and other loved ones are pretty independent. "Mommy, Amber's family invited me to spend the month with them in the Bahamas at a private island they rented"
Mommy, Kristen's parents invited me to spend a week in Cabo with them.
Mommy, daddy's new wife asked me to spend two weeks in Italy with her, she has to go there for work, she says she needs $2,000 if I'm coming, plus airfare.
A pet is unlikely to be going on trips with extended family or friends. Ok, if your cat is allowed outside, they may disappear for a time. Your dog will probably be with you all of the time.
Mommy, Kristen's parents invited me to spend a week in Cabo with them.
Mommy, daddy's new wife asked me to spend two weeks in Italy with her, she has to go there for work, she says she needs $2,000 if I'm coming, plus airfare.
A pet is unlikely to be going on trips with extended family or friends. Ok, if your cat is allowed outside, they may disappear for a time. Your dog will probably be with you all of the time.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,743
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
It's been cloudy so I haven't been able to take a pic of the stars to answer the replies yet.
My brain fart. If a photon is emitted from an electron then it must be a component of it. How can an electron emit photons for billions of years? Are there infinite photons per electron?
Maybe photons are disturbances in the aether that propagate through the aether. When an electron drops an energy shell, it oscillates the aether into a concentrated package which is the photon. The photon would eventually dissipate back into the aether.
Literally science fiction thoughts without fact. My imagination.
No need to move this. Just a non-critical random thought dump I'll address sober :)
My brain fart. If a photon is emitted from an electron then it must be a component of it. How can an electron emit photons for billions of years? Are there infinite photons per electron?
Maybe photons are disturbances in the aether that propagate through the aether. When an electron drops an energy shell, it oscillates the aether into a concentrated package which is the photon. The photon would eventually dissipate back into the aether.
Literally science fiction thoughts without fact. My imagination.
No need to move this. Just a non-critical random thought dump I'll address sober :)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Polish people called Woctech have a head start in an IT career. They only need the 'info' part. I am still surprised at their premier called Donald Tusk. When I hear of someone called 'Donald' , I rarely ask myself : from Warsaw or from Krakow ( crackhouse?).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
My mind started running crazy after student showed a note ( I was subbing) from a psychiatrist, not just a dr, just for missing a class. I imagine myself with a megaphone outside of the classroom: "Ok, I'll give you an A, just let the hostages go."
- 20,819
- 28,467
I remember a Swedish backpacker visiting the US. As they checked her baggage, she said: "Oh, the bomb is in the other bag!" This was no good idea at all ...WWGD said:My mind started running crazy after student showed a note ( I was subbing) from a psychiatrist, not just a dr, just for missing a class. I imagine myself with a megaphone outside of the classroom: "Ok, I'll give you an A, just let the hostages go."
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, you don't joke about those things in airports. Security people are not known for being easy-going and light-hearted. Not many part-time comedians among them.fresh_42 said:I remember a Swedish backpacker visiting the US. As they checked her baggage, she said: "Oh, the bomb is in the other bag!" This was no good idea at all ...
- 20,819
- 28,467
Guess being smart isn't either a necessity. I remember my dialogue:WWGD said:Yes, you don't joke about those things in airports. Security people are not known for being easy-going and light-hearted. Not many part-time comedians among them.
"What are you doing here?"
"I visit my sister."
"And tomorrow?"

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
I remember something very similar in a British documentary a couple of decades ago. It was a fly-on-the-wall documentary about airport staff.fresh_42 said:I remember a Swedish backpacker visiting the US. As they checked her baggage, she said: "Oh, the bomb is in the other bag!" This was no good idea at all ...
An American musician was entering the UK to perform in a concert and brought with him his double-bass inside a case. The airport security staff asked him what was in the case, and he joked, "A machine gun".
The documentary then showed edited highlights of the 24 hours of questioning by the police.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Peter Ustinov had trouble, too, probably long ago. He was asked about race, black, brown, white, but he insisted on pink, but there was no checkbox for pink.WWGD said:Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who answered " I'm fabulous" when asked in customs if he had something to declare?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Probably shitty weather in NYC.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
"Your" bench? Fido has double-downed on ownership of that area; marked his/her territory, so to speak.WWGD said:Must be my magnetic personality: Dog drops by my bench at the park to " Show his respects" and drops a "warm pile" by my bench. Two days in a row. Out of all the spots in the park...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
So what would happen if someone else ( hopefully a dog) dropped a pile there when Fido was marking his territory and "showing his respect "?Klystron said:"Your" bench? Fido has double-downed on ownership of that area; marked his/her territory, so to speak.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
You could run an experiment by "marking" your bench and see who pays attention.WWGD said:So what would happen if someone else ( hopefully a dog) dropped a pile there when Fido was marking his territory?
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2